Oysters and how many days can they sit in the fridge

Hello everyone!

Just a quick question about oysters. I bought 4 dozen from a direct producer in Bassin d'Archacon last Friday , (Oct 4th).

I do know I have about a week or so to eat them before they turn off.

They have been sitting in the fridge, flat.

Anyone know the absolute limit on when I should eat them?

Thanks in advance

Mary

Pamela, I'm the opposite. Just have to hear them mentioned for my mouth to water!

I think they're fine in the fridge for a week or so - if fresh to start with.

Bruce - I'd ask for a refund...

I can't eat any of that stuff as it just comes straight back into the real world. Even the smell can make my stomach start turning - pity because my husband really likes them.

But for keeping in the fridge to eat I would have said 2-3 days - maybe you can get away with a little more if yours came straight out of the production water.

I used to really like them, less so these days.

I was told the same about the wiggle several times. Also, that is a reminder that if they are kept more than a day or two they 'poo' again and then you really do have to wash them well.

You're trying to eat dead oysters!

I was told that if they wiggle when you put the lemon on them, they are good. And I verified this experimentally.

:-)

Haha...no for sure! No, my question is at what point should I not even try to eat them? Guilt, guilt...been sitting in the fridge-we ate half Sunday-I am opening another dozen tonight. I use the lemon trick...first drain small amount of liquid out (the ocean water) and then squirt a small amount of lemon on the side...if the oyster moves, I eat it. If not, I don't...

But will see how the lemon trick works tonight. I put them in the freezer for a short time -i heard it is easier to open them after this method. (freezer for a half hour-take out and let sit for a few minutes.) It took me ages to open the 2 dozen on Sunday-they were so fresh, they stayed tightly closed :)

James, actually they don't come off the sea, but they spend a week in a fresh water tank to get rid of their ... hm, undisharged poo, and loose some of the salt.

7 in one sitting? Not bad ;-)

I love them anytime, but some say it's like eating snot off a tortoise.

They also say that they're an aphrodisiac but I'm not impressed. From the last dozen I ate, only 7 worked! (I should be so lucky!)

Anything older that straight out of the sea puts me off!

Mary, with oysters, eat them fresh - meaning zero days in the fridge.

Was your question related to when they become toxic? You don't want to wait that long.

;-)

It may be that elsewhere they err on the side of caution.

I know Brian…butthe producer said it is okay to keep them 8 days or more (in fridge) ! So I wanted to get opinions on what others think. When you buy oysters for Noel in France , you can see on the box that they are best between the first 8 days, with quality going down after 8 days up to 11 -13 days. (or is my memory failing me?)
We ate half last Sunday-they are very fresh, but I also don’t want to get sick…

I've bought and kept them for years. In the UK they told us 3 days in the east, in Wales (they were same day fresh) 5 days, in Portugal also 5 days and here the same. So far nobody between the mid-1970s and now has ever said a week.