Paint stripping service?

I did say ‘used correctly’…

Hi, I have stripped several doors using a Metabo SXE400, orbital sander. Over the last 24 years , I have found Nothing to compare. I am on my second one. You can buy sanding discs from 40 grade up to 400, and the results are excellent.

Apologies to lots of posters above, but if you want to preserve the character of the wood, as opposed to making something look brand new or recently ‘distressed’, I recommend avoiding chemical strippers and sanders -they either leave traces of paint in the wood grain or remove all traces of age - they’re just too brutal and destroy the character of the wood . My recommended technique evolved over several years ofstripping 600 year old beams of dirt and 300 year old doors of grime, paint and varnish. A plastic cup brush on an electric drill is easy to manoeuvre and quickly takes off coatings without damaging the wood; it may make the grain more pronounced or, if it’s really old polish it, but is that a bad thing? I’d also recommend waxing the result rather than using modern varnish - a subtle sheen rather than a too shiny ‘plastic’ finish.

Thanks all!

I’ll be sure to wear a mask for the second half once the belt-sander arrives! I must admit I didn’t for the first door.

That’s really annoying! I’ve got loads of those sorts of attachments back the the garage in the UK from fiddling about with cars.

Anyway, I’m not going to get too precious with the house here…it’s only going to probably be sold anyway.

That sounds fantastic.

But I have seen the metal cup brushes for drills and those nasty knotted-wire stripping discs for angle grinders, but never plastic.

(I haven’t used the metal ones I got in Lidl UK. Am a bit wary of starting to use them, as heard all but the best can actually lose their bristles and start throwing off thin wire missiles.)

Where are the best places in UK/France to see and buy the plastic ones?

In France, ManoMano.fr does them.
https://www.manomano.fr/p/brosse-boisseau-a-fils-de-nylon-abrasifs-100-mm-grossier-6352262

I usually get them from Bricorama or Briconautes (Decazeville), Think I used to get them in the UK from my local independent hardware shop or B&Q. The similarly shaped metal ones actually destroy wood, whereas the plastic ones do a really good job;

Depending on the surface obviously but a chemical stripper like peelaway does the bulk of the work easily allowing the brush to take over at the end. To try to get through multiple layers of time hardened paint would drive me nuts.

Thanks @SuePJ and @DrMarkH

| DrMarkH Regular
13 September |

• | - |

KarenLot:

Where are the best places in UK/France to see and buy the plastic ones?

I usually get them from Bricorama or Briconautes (Decazeville), Think I used to get them in the UK from my local independent hardware shop or B&Q. The similarly shaped metal ones actually destroy wood, whereas the plastic ones do a really good job;

Sandblasting using plastic media is the safest and most environmental procedure. I have done it many time when i worked for a sand blast manufacturer. Depending on the process used, air blasting is quicker than automatic blasting. DO NOT use normal shot blasting media or you will need new doors and window frames.