Paracetamol

Unlike some on here, I have no problem with buying from Amazon and it’s my go-to place for stuff like this. Lots of brands to choose from. I plumped for this brand for post-op support for my liver.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07TWG2NR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I have never heard of milk thistle. Googling to find out what it is and what it does.

Google: If you have breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis or uterine fibroids, consider avoiding milk thistle.

I’ve had breast cancer and so I’ll have to avoid milk thistle.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe just try the artichoke? Perhaps there are alternatives to the one you’ve tried that are more palatable? Good luck with this.

Knowing nothing of milk thistle, I did google it and couldnt find articles stating it should be avoided, more were saying no proof exists either way as clinical trials were not carried out for it efficacy so no decision either way. Some claim it has anti cancer, anti inflamatory properties.

If you want to pay for any of your medication just tell the pharmacist when you pay. They will process that all or part of a prescripion in a different way. Tell them when you’re asking them to dispense the medication so they won’t start ‘funded’ type transaction processing for anything you’re paying.

I did this earlier this year when the easiest way to solve a different problem, was for me to pay for some of what was on the doctor’s prescription.

That way you can be sure everyone who treats you will know everything you’re taking now and in the future. And both doctor and any dispensing pharmacist will be able to look out for anything that doesn’t mix particularly if any “new news” comes out through their official notification system in the future.

Ask your doc if you want to pay, whether it’s easier for them and pharmacist if doc writes separate prescriptions, or not.

1 Like

WebMD:

Don’t take it if you have breast, uterine, or ovarian cancer; endometriosis; or uterine fibroids. It can mimic estrogen. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before you take milk thistle or any herbal supplement.

2 Likes

Yep, thinking about it… sometimes, there is something on my prescription which doesn’t get funded by the State… even though it’s something the Doc reckons I need.

So my Doc knows what I’m on… and it’s in the files… but I pay for it… I’d forgotten that as it’s been a while since that happened.

1 Like

I will take a look later.
I have no bias but will look for sources, last night I didnt see anything one way or the other as clinical trials have not been done and thats usually because big pharma, especially US based dont like anything they dont make or profit from and webMD is very pro pharma.

I agree. But as I am very anti-pharma, I find it useful as a check and balance and then make up my own mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally agree SuePJ, just like the American heart foundation, total rubbish spoken by them and scientifically proven to be so.

2 Likes

In our local pharmacy they keep the ‘branded’ paracetamol (Doliprane, etc) on the shelf behind the counter, and sell this to the unwary (I assume they get a higher margin on it) - but they’re perfectly happy to fetch generic paracetamol if you ask (paracétamol générique) if you want to pay less.

1 Like

Thank you. This is useful to know.

Actually, we seem to be offered generic drugs automatically nowadays… unless the Doc specifically states that’s not allowed.
I thought it had become law a while ago… in order to save the State’s expenses. (Generic drugs are normally much cheaper.)

I was told that folk who insisted on having the Official medicine had to pay even if it was on prescription… unless (as I’ve said) the Doc forbade the generic.

I think this may vary between pharmacies tbh.
We have a good relationship with ours (heaven knowns, they earn enough out of us!) and always seem willing to be flexible.

1 Like

quite likely… ours always points out what the “unknown” packet actually is and the Pharmacist did phone our Doc, one time, when I queried if xx would be OK…

In my experience… French pharmacies are a wonderful source of help and wisdom… and they go that extra mile.

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that medication and alcohol just do not mix.
Not my problem as I rarely drink any alcohol.

There are certainly some medication OH has been given, where it has been made quite clear… no alcohol allowed.
But, other occasions, if I’ve queried it…
That’s OK… we can let the poor man have his glass of wine :wink:

As a general rule… I check the instruction paper…

In my experience, it is normal for pharmacists to proffer the expensive branded goods and to plead ‘non-comprends’ - this is probably because of the profitabilty of the brands.
I’ve found that asking any pharmacist for a ‘generique’ paracetamol/ibuprofen is best.

except as I think @Stella said earlier, the cost option comes in to play when nothing is specified to reduce costs to the health service…