Paras splat Corbyn

I

It’s an army term. Like “goons” was. And “munts” by white soldiers against black “terrorists” in pre-liberation S.A. I didn’t coin it, I used it because it’s another stress-relieving tactic used by soldiers under fire, I used it descriptively and I have no quarrel with its use in the battleground.

Maureen as I said earlier in the discussion and elsewhere I am in full agreement with you about the usefulness and naturalness of otherwise obscene or degrading language being used by people working under extreme conditions.

It’s a given in many front-line professional roles that this is legitimate but the convention is that it never leaks out to the public. That’s a given too.

I am very sorry to learn of your son’s sorrows and yours. I have two adult sons who have struggled since adolescence with debilitating mental illness (so-called “issues” in typically blame-shifting hypocrisy) so I have some understanding of your own position.

If I had responsibility for those soldiers I would not punish them, but see to it that they were counselled on the record by a respected senior rank about setting strict limits of fraternal confidentiality around soldierly behaviour that the general public should not be privy to.

It would call for a formal caution to be recorded on their ‘paybooks’ in case they went beyond the limits again.

I would tell them not to be so careless about posting on social media.

2 Likes

Don’t think the Russian Federation is planning an “evasion” (sic) of any kind.

Certainly better than “hirsute”!

I wasn’t aware that only “important things” were supposed to be discussed here. As that isn’t the case, you must often be disappointed when you read posts; suggest you learn to scroll.

An offensive piece of slang which is an ethnic slur used in disparaging terms to describe arabs and others who cover their heads with cloth. Certainly not acceptable to attribute it as a stress relieving habit or in any other form. Following your logic police officers combatting rioting youth during the riots in East London would be justified to use the N word as a means of dealing with their fear. SURELY NOT.

6 Likes

If you say so, Dan. I think the police have official codes to refer to the racial identity of individuals, and I expect they would legitimately use an phrase like “three black female juveniles”, I understand that their speech is now subject to recording in certain situations, and that would inhibit the use of non-PC language.

What language they use behind closed doors or where they aren’t going to be overheard is nobody’s business but their own, and at their own discretion, and (nowadays) at their own risk of being ‘shopped’ by a snowflake colleague.

I don’t think the front-line services are dens of iniquity, but nothing will convince me that racism, sexism, and homophobia does not still thread through uniformed services, despite all the clearing up that’s occured.

Recent news items illustrate the realities, and moral indignation is not an adult response IMO.

1 Like

Not to record a caution would be a serious error of judgement IMO. Disciplinary infractions can’t be trivialised in that way, or the rot spreads.

As the Chinese are reputed to say “A fish rots from the head downward”. Wise words.

The vast majority of police officers wouldn’t dream of using racist, sexist or homophobic expressions even in private and I am surprised at your use of the expression ‘grassed up by a snowflake colleague’ unless of course you are being ironic. I don’t have experience of the military but I have knowledge of the police and certainly don’t agree that racism,sexism and homophobia are issues nowadays although they were in the past

1 Like

Ahh Lee., I was referring to the tabloids, in reporting on the many “important” things going on in the world…not here in SF.

I don’t disagree that “the vast majority” of police officers will shun racist, sexist or homophobic expressions or behaviours, but experience has shown me that irrational prejudice still exists, and it is held in check now because majority opinion knows it will be jumped on. But if we think the slate is wiped clean, we are being premature in concluding all is hunky-dory. That’s my opinion, take it or leave it. Once bitten, twice shy.

They should know.

Six soldiers have been arrested for sexually assaulting a teenage colleague whilst she slept, one of them a staff sergeant. That is sickening and I hope they are kicked out and publicly shamed if found guilty.
Definitely some discipline problems in the army that need addressing.

1 Like

My point is that you used this offensive word on this forum. Whether or not unknown service personnel might or might not use this word in private discussions is completely beside the point. You used it, and it is an abusive and discriminatory word. Shame on you.

1 Like

Usually, admire your posts Jane but I think you have gone a little over the top on this one :smile:

Sorry Mick, but it is a word I and many of my arab and muslim friends deeply, deeply offensive.

2 Likes

This is an appalling and shaming occurrence that shows that there is still an attitude of contempt amongst lower ranks in the British Army.
The deaths at Deepcut Barracks and the official outlawing of ‘initiation’ ceremonies all point to a tradition of extreme bullying that has been tolerated for far too long.

2 Likes

Also, think the same but in this instance, I thought that Peter gave a valid reason for using it and sometimes you cannot airbrush out the past.