Pastel de Nata

I must give it a try.

Oh dear. I had a nasty feeling that might be the case. That’s off my list now

what’s a bifana Franglais?

I always thought nata pastry was closer to filo pastry. Normally I can’t stand filo but thought soaking it in custard made the difference.

The frozen natas I got in French Lidl definitely tasted like they had the wrong sort of pastry - almost a shortcrust.


I’m supposed to be loosing weight but NO I had to pop into Lidl and then walked past these so had to try one. Thanks yiu lot ! Sweeter than I like but OK. Would try again in Portugal!

1 Like

A meat sandwich. Beef or pork cooked in a beer and onion thick soup. Served in a soft bread roll with mustard.
Looks like a burger when served, but the meat isn’t minced.

1 Like

Well done on making your own!

About the chap who said ‘In Portugal it’s compulsory to eat 50 a day’, that was Bradley Walsh. I think you were watching ‘The Chase’ on ITV weekdays at 5pm UK time!

Bradley is just simply fantastic!

You could be right, my wife likes to watch that show. He recently came up with another culinary quip. “Coq au vin is just a chicken in a lorry”

I spend four winter months in the Algarve every year. My daughter and family live there. The only REAL Pastel tarts are made in Portugal. They are the nectar of the Dogs, but very bad for the waistline! Yours look the real deal though! I can’t wait until November when I am in Portugal again! Yum yum!

1 Like

Yes, Indeed he did!!

1 Like

Bet that’s a tricky accent to follow… Viennese Geordie, yikes! :smiley:

2 Likes

More likely to be Viennese Makem :smiley:

1 Like

Or here in Oyannax by a team of Portuguese cooks

If one is ever heading to Geneva worth a short pause.

1 Like

Only one ! Go on, be honest and tell us how many you really had. I would have had at least two (maybe three) :pink_heart:

EDIT: Are you like me, on a Seafood (See food) diet ??? :pink_heart:

1 Like

There is puff pastry and there is puff pastry. I have had pastel de nata from the convent outside Lisbon where they are said to have originated and where they still sell them (if you don’t mind big queues of tourists from all over the world) and several other places in Lisbon and Porto. Occasionally you can find the pastry done well outside Portugal, but not often. It is only when you taste the delicate super-crisp original that you can really tell the difference.
But that is what makes it so nice when you do find it - like so many foods that are imitated, they become ordinary. That said, once in a while I get the frozen ones from Noz (with a picture of a Lisbon tram on the box) and while they are a pale imitation, they are not too bad.

1 Like

Well, I may just do that!

:face_savoring_food:

1 Like

In the Saumurois there are many descendants of Portuguese families that fled the country in the 60’s and worked in the region’s agriculture. There’s one lovely couple who run a stall selling Portuguese food and wine in several local markets. Guess what always sells out first!

For other tarts and pies, I have moved entirely to a whole meal crust, made from some combination of almond meal, ground oats, etc. Everyone loved the taste far more than typical crust.

Very worthy and not remotely possible to make the light crisp layers you want in a P de N. Oh I see you said other pies - OK for eg mince pies esp if you stick some grated orange zest in too. I wouldn’t use oat flour though, oats don’t in my experience work well for pastry, too flabby, although obviously oatcakes are food of the gods and not flabby at all.