Photo books ect for Linux?

I only have Linux and I really want to start making photo books / Calender’s etc. A few years back I tried and most sites seemed to only allow you to do it from Windows or Mac. Has anyone made a photo book using Linux successfully?

Most printing companies will work from a PDF file of the correct spec. Inkscape or Scribus would certainly do the job.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Mixam for my zines, and upload a word document to make the zine, It would work the same with Open/Libreoffice.

IIRC SAAL have an online tool for photobooks.

1 Like

(1) LibreOffice, export to PDF with the appropriate image compression, and then send to a professional printer ?
or
(2) Scribus, save to PDF, and send to a professional printer ?
or
(3) Google Photos through a browser ? (I know, I know, you don’t like Google).

3 Likes

Thanks for all you ideas, however they all seem like I’d need to be creative :roll_eyes: :rofl: I was thinking about the online ones that have loads of templates ect and you do it all online, submit and they then print it up. Last time I looked I gave up in frustration as couldn’t find anything that ran under Linux. I’ll try to have another look and at all your suggestions. Thanks xx

I would be surprised if any online service would have a problem with Linux these days.

2 Likes

Oh that makes me feel better, it was probably 5 years ago I tried and failed!! I will have a look, when I ever have time!

In the old days, some of these online services required some IE-specific plugins or Flash (fortunately a now dead, security hole ridden plague, that didn’t always play nicely with Linux). Nowadays, most of these websites use JS, which is supported by pretty much all of the browsers commonly found on Linux systems - might want to check with the less popular ones such as Midori or Epiphany though.

1 Like

Flash often didn’t play nicely with Windows!

3 Likes

I use ff so fingers crossed xx