Picnic food - and figs :)

Yesterday, we were miles from home and planned to eat at a little resto at midday. However, we were treated to an impromptu picnic with friends.

Lots of crusty bread alongside…

Slices of magret de canard stuffed with foie gras
Figs stuffed with foie gras
Rillette de canard

Slices of pizza (cheese and tomato)

Selection of delicious cheeses

Fresh figs
Tarte aux figues

Not only was this lot a delicious surprise, but my friend is anxious to take any surplus figs off my hands… as she provides all sorts of goodies to her local resto.

I’m looking forward to seeing her again soon, but need time to work up an appetite to do justice to her culinary offerings.

3 Likes

Here is an option for Figs (as just consumed by my wife):

Looks delicious. I note they are green figs. yummy

Black/purple figs are abundant here, the green figs have suffered badly this year and are very small and hard.

Today we shall be going easy on the digestion…and drinking lots of water. I forgot to mention the various tipples we were “forced” to accept… hic.

I’ve already frozen several packets of whole purple figs and will have to check the tree again, later, when it cools down.

I have just been gorging straight off the trees - I expect I’ll pay for it later.

3 Likes

I cant even reach more than the bottom ones

2 Likes

Sigh… I know … just too, too delicious to waste…

2 Likes

Do figs freeze well?
I am inudated with plums, family, friends and neighbours are saying “no more”

I have seen them on the freezer shop so I suppose they do! You can dry them fairly easily too.

1 Like

Funny thing is I never liked figs since I’d only every tried the dried ones. Back in UK, a friend who imported fruit - he offered me a fresh fig and defied me to hate it. He was right!.. glorious.

Still won’t touch them dried though… :roll_eyes:

I pick them off the roof and bonnet of my car, semi-dried, MMMmmmMMMM

:joy::crazy_face: no, no, we either have bird-whatzit or woodworm dust - depending on if the car sits outside or in the garage… and I’m not tasting either (or both) of those :wink:

Semi dried sounds nice :yum:

I’m just wondering if I can hide some in tonight’s chicken curry… (will OH notice ?) … :thinking:

getting back to picnic food…

For car-meets, one friend often brings a thick, cake-like “omelette” … potato, onion, egg (+who knows what). she obviousl cooks it in the oven as it arrives in a non-stick cake tin and is cut up just like a cake (fruit cake or whatever).

does it ring any bells - anyone got ideas for that recipe ?? It is served and eaten cold.

1 Like

Fritatta?

1 Like

I make that regularly. Tortilla or Frittata.
Soften up some big sweet onions in olive oil, when they are translucent add whatever else you want to put in. Could be courgettes, peppers, aubergines, whatever. If potatoes you cook them separately.
At this point heat up the oven to 160°C and chuck in a cake tin (I also use one of those round flat bottomed dishes made of terracotta) after about 10 minutes put a bit of oil in it and shoogle it. Your veg should be nice by now so tip it into a bowl and add about half a dozen lightly whisked eggs and stir it about. Tip into the hot oiled cake tin, it should hiss nicely, this is a good sign, and leave for half an hour. Voilà!

• oops, leave it in the oven, I should have written :grinning:
3 Likes

I never use the oven when making frittata.
More or less I do the same, except I use butter in a frying pan with a metallic handle.
You can use a plastic handled pan, but take care it does come to near the grill.
When the eggs are not quite set put them under a hot grill until they puff up, just a few minutes.
Run a knife round the pan and leave to cool and turn out onto a plate

1 Like

Yep, I can understand your method, Jane.

Our friend makes enough for 40 or so folk (and many of us have seconds - which is why she does hers, in large quantities, in the oven.

Me, I am planning enough for around a dozen, so shall use my oven and a selection of my baking tins. :grin: I don’t have a frying pan big enough…

2 Likes

I do m one with the potatoes in the bottom of the pan in lots of oil first.

As taught to me by a real life bossy Spanish lady!!

2 Likes

Do you slightly cook them first, in the oil??

The recipes I have seen on Google all say to cook the potato and add “later” in the process…