PM Theresa May says there will be no attempt to remain inside EU

On my old laptop, I had Norton antivirus which enabled you to look at a map of the world to see where the latest hacking attempt was coming from..it would usually give out some co-ordinates...I was surprised (nut perhaps I shouldn't be) that alot of them emanated from University campus'....

I use a VPN for tv viewing films etc...I wonder how safe those are ?

attacks to one of our servers, USA, Ukraina, Russia, France and Germany are on the most blocked list. But I have seen sofisticated attack, where attacks where conducted from 10-20 countries at the same time! Insane. Check these two links and you get an idea what is going on.

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2016/03/attackers-gain-access-wordpress-sites/

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2016/02/wordpress-password-security/

As for your non-server access to internet it depends on several things:

1. router ( livebox, ...) firewall, Nat/pat settings ...

2. what operationg system you use ( iMac, Pc, Linux, ...)

3. what browser you are using

4. if you use plugins such as adblock and noscript in Firefox

5. and lastly, never click any any ' adds' hastily, always be careful what you look at.

6. there is more :<( to be watch out for.

I hope I answered your questions somewhat

-peter

Sort of, Peter,

I realise thisis a minefield, but I use the protection that comes with Windows and my local internet cafe people are very good and since using them (they installed Avira after clearing and resetting things)...I've (touch wood) had no real problems....

However, some time ago I must have clicked on something ad-wise , because I have an annoying thing that advertises products and has attached itself to Ebay so when I view anything, there is is...

You are supposed to be able to remove it by going to tools and disabling an extension....However when you try to do this the extension does not show up to be disabled....!

In my opinion Firefox is very secure, followed by Chrome.

I use Chrome because of all functionality that comes with google.

WIndows 10 & browser worked well for one year, then I run into weird problems with my developer tools. Keep you W updated. It is tricky to give advice without having hands-on on your equipment. God thing your local guys are helping you. If they help several I think they are well on to it. I'd be happy to help, if you send me a private message I'll get back to you.

Hilary BBC said somewhere during the week that they are shutting down iplayer for VPN users!

And yes this is Shirley, just able to get back into SFN again, James must be so cheesed off with my account on SFN, I've emailed him enough times about being hacked!

Also given ive been saying on discussions that the internet access via my PC when 1st I used MIcrosoft OS and Google Chrome Browser, with good internet security on PC and then my iPad with Apple IOS since last year, I just gave up with PC.

I can't even change my password on here in settings because it what's my previous one! (been hacked and changed so often, I don't know what previous one was)

just spent ages looking at WordFence and some of the questions asked by people on there but all I can see is references to people's own websites and protecting them - not a persons own PC or tablet using IOS, their OS seems to be MS.

I don't have a website, just an email address, IOS OS and Apple Safari with a choice of DuckDuckGo, Google and a 3rd Web browser (can't remember name and never used it) only tried 1st 2, so if you or Peter Juselius have any Ideas,I'd be pleased to read them!

I was quite impressed with what I was reading about WordFence.

Sorry to inform you about the VPN though. Although I'm with ORANGE via a live box, in the access details the VPN box is blank.

Sorry to be a damp squib but wouldn't all the computer talk and the like be more pertinent in the "Computer Corner" group section ?

Sorry Peter, yes it should probably! Was just following up on a link On this discussion re Wordpress and also VPN access!

Hi Shirley, not aimed at you especially it's just the past messages have veered way off direction which makes the topic pretty meaningless and boring to those of us with no interest in computers, IOS, VPNs et al. ( OK, I know i'm one of the biggest offenders but i'm trying to reform !!).

Hi Peter, good on you, trying to reform it (the discussion I assume) not all of SFN?

Just me Shirley, SFN will sort itself out i'm sure !

Anyway, trying to reform me is 'mission Impossible" though I suppose I should make an effort !

I wonder what the rest of Europe thinks of Theresa ? . This morning, my ladyfriend saw Theresa on TV speaking with Mme Merkel and she said " Oh, the British PM does actually speak then ?" The idea among many is that Mme May doesn't actually 'say' much but is just a front-man (?) for the Brexit process with no other useful purpose in life. Maybe she has a point ?

Does Theresa have any future after clause 39 is invoked what with our chum Boris lined up as the next PM ?

'Reforming yourself' is like asking to be born again isn't Peter, lol. I'm sure you dont wish that today, do you? Yes I'd be interested in knowing what other EU leaders thing of TM.

Sadly for all the women's lib that exists, we still really live in a male dominated , chauvinistic Europe and beyond! Look at fuss over burkini's in France and think I saw somewhere online this week or on news, that some UK residents want the same there. Shame on them!

Mme May appears to be more of a thinker and do-er - rather than a speaker until she has something relevant to impart! While that continues the press/media can't

misrepresent her!

Hello Shirley,

Nice to see you back ....that bat-like pose must be doing you some good..!

You, I think are far more computer literate than I am with all this experience of different operating systems...but i am slowly getting there..

I am not sure what is going to happen about access to the BBC......I would hate to miss out on the excellent dramas...The Night Manager, Poldark, The Durrells, Peaky Blinders, Versailles,...etc..etc.

I love the BBC programmes but I hate the way it's run....Why cant there be a complete World Service for BBC tv as there is for radio ? We can see BBC news reporting from it's bases all over the World, why can that not be extended to Drama, etc...

I feel they pay their top executives too much (and they are a bit arrogant as a result)....If money is the problem, then I think alot of people such as myself would voluntarily pay a world wide licence fee (perhaps at a reduced rate, as I only watch tv on line and don't possess a tv set) in order to help ensure that it is sustainable and continues the good work in this area.

I actually went onto the BBC licencing site to try to find out whether I could pay as a non-resident of the UK and I can't....So I have no alternative but to use a VPN. But Shirley, I thought I'd heard differently....At the tail end of a news item on the subject, I thought I'd heard that the BBC weren't going to be trying to access people's private networks......a VPN is a 'virtual private network'.....and 'Hola' I believe works by routing people through different points in different countries and these points can be moved so that it would be nearly impossible to track and block these VPN's or get to their users...At least, I am hoping that is the case...So their is some doubt about whether this can actually be enforced....Long may it remain that way, unless they change their policy....

Thanks for the offer Peter, but in all other important respects, my computer is working well,so I think unless I start having problems in other areas, I'll work on the basis of 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'.

I have good contact at the Internet place nearby and she would be my first port of call. Thanks again tho'.

Yes Hilary I've got bat ears also :-)! On your last paragraph, yes you are right the BBC said they will not be interfering with anyone's VPN. When the BBC is accessed though on their website for iplayer, there will be some special access code or something that you will have Applied and paid for before you access the programmes you want.

So it's not about someone using a VPN to bypass their system - it's about what and how it will work once you have access to their site and happens their end to their new system and rules! It was stated when I was watching that only already BBC Licence payers can apply to get iplayer - so perhaps it's also to catch out all those living in UK now but don't already have a licence. I'm sure we'll hear more on TV the subject before too long! I know the sum of around £145 was mentioned, is that the current annual cost of a TV Licence!

There hasn't been mention yet of Sat Dishes either for Freeview in UK or Freesat here I don't think....but now SFN and other Expat Websites possibly, are open to and on other Social Media sites - who knows where any of the UK and other countries powers that be, are getting their Information from, in order to effect changes! One reason why I did let James know I wasn't happy with the FB, Twitter and other Social Media logos at bottom of SFN pages.

Back to Winston Churchill and the dinner table conversation - Walls have ears - in this day and age there is no fireproof guarantee on any personal website that other big internet website providers or whoever, doesn't have eyes! absolute Privacy is an absolutely fallacy,

This is why I was interested in the WordFence/Word Press link on here given problems I've had since initial set up in 2014. WordFence say they have security cracked I hope so, but as it looked as though they were writing for MIcrosoft OS and nothing mentioned re Apple, I didn't follow up because I couldn't email or contact them! I Wouldnt want to download something for Windows, which I don't have on iPad.

Keep Calm and Carry On......

Wordfence protects websites, thereby protecting information hosted by for example SFN. Your computer has to be protected by your stuff (Orange-router settings and software in your computer.

I use chrome because the way Google protects my mail and cloud-data. as well as basic web-stuff. Google mail has a good spam filter and 2-step verification when logging in:

' Your password protects your account. You can also add a second layer of protection with 2-Step Verification, which sends a single-use code to your phone for you to enter when you sign in. So even if somebody manages to steal your password, it is not enough to get into your account.'

When you sign in you tell google to remember your device, that way you only need phone-verification once a month or so.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs

I'm now leaving this discussion about computers etc

Bye.

Peter J how does one do that on an Apple iPad whose OS is different to MS? Orange is my ISP and I know I've been hacked, so do Apple. Apple's own Security newsletters give a link to PGP I think it is for their systems - but all the info relates to professional websites and developers - I dont have a website and I'm not an IT developer. PGP don't mention Apple at all only refer to Ms OS.

I've got the bad guy/s lol

INFO : Guy Verhofstadt (President of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe) has just been appointed lead Brexit negotiator for EU Parliament, playing central role in Article 50 and
any future EU-UK agreements.

Not a man who beats around the bush - he's berated Trump and Farage for their xenophoic tactics and the EU for constant focus on the 'little things' (eg packaging) instead of worries affecting EU citizens, he wants the EU to be far more democratic and he told a UK MEP that since the UK wants out he shouldn't lecture the EU on its future but maybe lecture those at home. I like him.

1 Like