Poisonous Plants

I'm looking at plants which I can put in my garden in Herault and I've compiled a list of poisonous plants, many of which are often found in gardens so I thought I would share this with you so you are all aware if you/your family/friends have any that are poisonous for your children:

Most Dangerous which can be fatal if ingested and should be removed or isolated:

Oleander (these are all over in our area used as cheap hedging)

Trumpet/Arum Lillies

Castor Oil Plants


Causing unexplained illness in toddlers:



Poinsettias (great had one of these at Christmas!)

Causing severe skin irritation:


Poison Ivy (well the name did give it away).

Is anyone aware of any others?

If you do suspect a child or adult has eaten part of a poisonous plant, seek medical advice immediately from a hospital Accident & Emergency department and take a sample of the plant with you. Do not panic and DO NOT try to make the person sick

Similar advice for pets -Seek veterinary advice if you think an animal has eaten a poisonous plant and take along samples of the plant concerned.

A long list of poisonous plants can be found on Royal Horticultural Society website but I've just pulled out the most common ones I've seen in Herault

In reality the average garden, and not infrequently in people's houses, are chock a block with toxic plants. The problem is that many of them serve a purpose in nature that when removed allow particular unwanted insects to stay with us. The chances of harm to animals is possible but usually extremely low because they know. The really dangerous ones are imported exotics, tropical plants that often survive the new extremes of temperature and modify with the result of becoming far more toxic.

Amongst toxic lilies are the so-called autumn crocus, absolutely profuse hereabouts. They are mildly poisonous but if ingested quite nasty nonetheless. That is an example of a very common member of the lily family that people do not even realise belongs to the lilaceae family. The RHS list is good, there is a European one somewhere online that I have used to (try to) identify a few things we have amongst the scrub here. Getting rid of them is a great idea that is extreme difficult to put into practice. Some thrive after clearance because roots left then go crazy and the next year it is horrendous. Easiest is often just keeping an eye. Aloe, though, is one to want despite it down side, it is a valuable homoeopathic herb with positive use if done absolutely correctly.

Indoors, well the less said. Poinsettias dropping leaves that are attractive red is asking for trouble. The supermarkets and garden centres selling them should attach clear warnings, do they hell... Best never have the blasted things indoors.

Hi, we are in the Aude department so just next door! When we moved into our house last year the garden was over run with big weed-like plants complete with purple berries which the children thought were fantastic for squashing and squelching. Not being very knowledgeable in the 'green fingers' department, I looked online and matched the plant to Pokeweed which is dangerous to children and animals. Finally there were no more excuses for putting off clearing the garden!

yes and for cats, I always remove the stems from lilies given to me as gifts to avoid my Stanley having any problems - he doesn't eat them but I'd hate for him to be sick because of somehow ingesting the pollen if he brushed past one and it went on his fur which he later groomed. I also don't buy them myself but they are commonly given as gifts so I try to put them out of the way of his climbing or snoozing.

Great advice, Suzanne - thank you - especially about taking a sample of the actual plant with you. I think in a panic I would forget to do that but your post serves as an invaluable reminder as it would help the medical team identify the toxin immediately. Some of the plants are so pretty it's easy to see why especially a toddler might handle them and then put fingers in mouths.

On the animal front, there's also quite an extensive 'Toxic plants' page in the Dogs group as we know what little munchers they can be, some of which can be fatal.