Political correctness stops proper safety steps for vulnerable groups

So yet again Peter, you have added to a post after you initially submitted it
Believe it or not Peter I was supporting you,by a very brief post saying ‘the English’ have not been pure bred for many years. Somehow you have twisted it to make my response borderline racist. To say I am annoyed at this is an understatement

You make my point for me Eddie. By your reference to “purity” of breed-stock. That is the basic error, I think, that there is a pure breed from which all miscegenation is a deviation.

And, Eddie, it is not a crime to edit a post for clarity of content or to remove words that might offend or injure.

I give up

So shall I. :grinning::hugs:

And (edited to say so) I appreciate your support, freely given. :+1::pensive:

If that were correct, I don’t think hating someone’s views could ever be a problem.

But the DM and most of the press have a thought-forming agenda. In the DM, DT, Sun and magazines like the Spectator, there’s a fairly clear agenda. Taking Brexit as an example (because we could say we know what the electorate thought), they’re not reflecting “what people think”: they’re, at best, reflecting and reinforcing what a little over half of what people thought at the time of the referendum. Remember, they’re not dealing with facts but with opinions.

I agree that a sort of new McCarthyism is developing here as well as in the US, where certain reasonable opinions - relating to immigration, sexuality in the main - are greeted with such vitriol that many media will not publish them.

It’s striking that those on both sides of many debates don’t really argue any more, but merely sneer at their opponents.

I NEVER said anything about ‘pure bred’ - not my comment.

How about this -

“It has long been known that human populations differ genetically,…’ - Professor Peter Donnelly, director of the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics at Oxford University.

Pure bred were my words. Twisted maybe but my words

I’ve always had a soft spot for mongrels … perhaps since they so often have a special quality… be it visual ie their appearance … or in their behaviour… :roll_eyes: :hugs:

ah well… off for a stroll to clear the cobwebs…

2 Likes

Click bait!!

You did misunderstand. The MP’s comments reminded me of how the Nazis said the Jews harboured disease, thereby encouraging non-Jews to foment anger and hostility towards them.

I thoroughly agree - and Peter you are completely misinterpreting this sentiment. Mongrel in the sense that we have been invaded since the dawn of time and then the invaders assimilated, mixed with the blood already here - danes, vikings, celts, saxons, before them, when the North Sea was land, people walked across. I wonder who of us has neanderthal blood? Then much later on those running from persecution such as the Huguenots. I KNOW I’m a mongrel - I probably have French blood in me at the very least.

4 Likes

Thanks SPJ that’s what I was trying to say and indeed meant

1 Like

Well said Sue. We are all a mixture of races and cultures as any DNA test will confirm.
Izzy x

2 Likes

Pleasure Eddie. And just to add, I think it’s one of the great strengths of the British, that we are a mongrel race - taking the best from a whole variety of races and cultures. And many of those who arrived here all those eons ago would have been the most adventurous - imagine what it must have been like - and we, in turn became a sea-faring nation second to none - and again, would have brought back such magic, from the farthest corners of the world. We did not stay insular and closed off, but embraced the world. Soft spot for mongrels Stella? They are wonderful!

2 Likes

My nieces and nephews have Jewish,African,Traveller blood amongst other

Of course they are… I am one … :hugs: :hugs:

No-one reasonable will disagree that genetic mixing of the various genotypes within the human race has occured, but the term mongrel is used usually perjoratively by breeders to distinguish dogs that are a deviation from pure-breed animals.

A less contraversial terms is “cross-breed”.

You can say that again! And “embraced the world” is a very one-sided view. Some might say “choked to death, or tried to…” :roll_eyes:

You know Peter I suspect that had I used the term cross breed you would still have objected

1 Like

Peter… mongrel was given to the various dog/puppies which wandered the streets and with which we played throughout our childhood… some had owners, some didn’t.
They were that just that little bit different to the usual .

If I asked… what sort of dog is that… the answer came… mongrel…

it didn’t worry anyone… they were fun to play with and made good pets… :slight_smile: