Political representation in UK

I would go further and take it up with the Electoral Commission, who will investigate on your behalf.
They cannot obfuscate with them as they might well do with you.

Because, because, because.

1 Like

Every french customer service person knows that you never apologise, never admit you are wrong, never say sorry and always say it is someone else’s fault. Given that I have more respect for a French customer service person than a UK MP right now, then I don’t really have any hopes that an elected MP would behave any better…

2 Likes

Hi All

Latest state of play ANDY 2 - MP 0

After having my MP state the she had been supplied with an electoral list not having my address and stating i was not a registered overseas voter I have received the following response from the electoral officer.

Good Morning

I can assure you that you are registered as an Overseas elector and you are shown on the xxxxxxxx Register of Electors as a special category elector (overseas).

You are definitely shown on the register supplied to XXXXXXXXX’s office.

I hope this helps.

I am not sure what to do now

The Parliamentary complaints commissioner states

The Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards
looks into complaints that an MP has broken
the Code of Conduct and the Rules for MPs.

These include rules about:
The registration and declaration of financial
interests (eg paid employment, shareholdings,
gifts, hospitality, land and property)
The use of parliamentary facilities, or of
parliamentary expenses before the 2010 General
Election
Advocacy or lobbying where the MP has a
financial interest.

The Commissioner cannot look into
complaints about:
Policy matters
The way an MP has handled an individual case or
problem
An MP’s views or opinions
The funding of political parties, which are matters
for the Electoral Commission
Breaches of the Ministerial Code of Conduct,
which are matters for the Prime Minister
An MP’s private and personal life
Criminal offences, which are normally a matter for

So it appears it rather difficult to complain about your MP being an incompetent arsehole.

I have sent an e-mail to Private Eye with a broad outline of the issues raised to see if it of interest to them, but I feel that with politics being the state they are in this is small fry.

I will not let this go, as I consider that the deliberate attempt to disenfranchise an overseas voter cannot be over looked.

Sorry if this is getting boring

Have a great day

Andy

2 Likes

Why don’t you just accept she made a mistake, apologised for any confusion and let it go?

Hi Poppy

Just let it go so that she could do the same to others who would just accept she was right.

As an ex parish Councillor I have seen many occasions when politicians are economical with the truth hoping nobody will challenge them.

Some times you have to stand up and let them know they cannot get away with it.

Sorry.

Have a good day

Andy

1 Like

Quite right Andy. I think you should take it further. She is either incompetent or trying to persuade you to not engage/vote. Whichever it is she should be held to account.

Further to poppy’s comment.

If she had apologised first off and said she had made a mistake, I would have accepted that

However, She has lied twice.

Once about my voter status

Then lied about the register and tried to blame local civil servants

I am sorry but i find this behaviour from an elected representative totally unacceptable.

Andy

1 Like

At the very least, it appears she does not have up-to-date information. That is something she should look into - casts doubt on her office/work setup.

I’m with you all the way! It may be a small thing, but a lie is a lie and sometimes with small things you can actually have a big impact if you hold people to account.

We can’t change the fact that we are disenfranchised after 15 years, but at least you are fighting the good fight to make sure we are recognised for those 15 years!

1 Like

That’s the trouble with a representative democracy - the adult, presumed to have capacity population is free to elect an incompetent arsehole as its MP.

1 Like