Pool novices need help

Hi all we are total novices at pool life we have just bought a house with a pool we have drained it and are now filling it up with clean water, can anyone tell us how much chlorine we should add and how often? I think the pool holds about 20 000 gallons of water. There is an automatic chlorine feed attached to the filter system as well but have yet to suss out how to use that too x I think it is a sand filter

Hello Nicola and welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

You are lucky to be allowed to fill the pool. Many areas of France have restrictions on water usage. :upside_down_face:

Do you have any paperwork relating to the pool and its equipment?

Nobody French will have the faintest idea what that means (I don’t myself!) cubic metres (m3) is what you will be dealing with - look in the yellow pages for a local pisciniste.
But also, as Stella says, beware, you might not be allowed to fill it up at all because we are in a drought crisis in most of the country.

Exactly why you shouldn’t use yellow pages or local piscinist, they will take full advantage of that fact and help themselves to your bank balance!

Well why don’t you go and help if they are within a reasonable distance - advice online is a fat lot of use frankly, if they know nothing. My local piscinistes are very helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies. Not been made aware that we can’t fill the pool and it is just about done now so that is that. I think I need to use 2.6 ounces of chlorine does that sound about right ? And I need to filter between 3-4 hours a day.

I don’t think we have any paperwork for the equipment But will have another look in case x

1 Like

I can give plenty of good online advice as many will testify to on here and elsewhere. The level of paid for advice on pools in France and UK is bloody awful.

2 Likes

It might be mentioned in the bumpf from when you bought the property which, presumably was not long ago. :upside_down_face::roll_eyes::upside_down_face:

Just measure the length, width and depth in metres. sounds about 90m3. Get some cheap multi action galets from a super market and add 3 tablets in a floater, also from a super market.
You need to filter for a minimum of 12 hours in this weather best for 24 hours.

3 Likes

Ok thanks x we have got liquid chlorine as we have an automatic chlorine feed into the pool I haven’t looked yet to see if you can set the dose x I will go look now and thanks for the advice x

It might be useful to show some pictures of what equipment, filter, whatever you actually do have at the moment.

Also, might be an idea to check on local water restrictions (discretely) to make sure you stay legal. You may be alright, there may be no restrictions, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Have I missed a post - do we know where Nicola is ??

Dunno but if the “69” in her user name is a clue to the département that she lives in, parts are at “vigilance jaune” currently.

Detailed info here - if anyone needs it.

Easier as well as just width x length x depth. Imperial units are just difficult to work with.

But 1m3 = 1000l, 1 gallon = 4.54609l so 20,000 gals = 90921.8l or about 90m3 as our resident pool expert surmised :slight_smile:

:joy::slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face: I presumed it was a special year :upside_down_face::wink::laughing:

1 Like

Could be :slight_smile:

Nicloa can let us know or keep an air of mystery, as she sees fit :slight_smile:

Uploading: image.jpg…

Having trouble uploading pictures of the filter x and the 69 is the year I was born lol

Excellent year - not the one that I was born in which is, obviously, even more excellent :slight_smile: but do use the map to check if there might be restrictions in your area.