Pool Pipe Damage by Chlorine?

We had a new ‘coque polyester’ pool installed in September 2020. In June this year, noticed a significant drop in water level. Our local installer came round to inspect and found a hole in one of the pipes leading from the skimmer to the pump house. His diagnosis? Caused by chlorine damage. He stated he had never seen this in a pool so new, only with a pool over 10 years old, and we assured him that we had been extremely careful with using chlorine tablets - following manufacturers’ instructions, using skimmer net etc. etc. He said there was obviously a problem with the pipe and sent in a report to the pool manufacturer who refused to accept responsibility and said it was our fault for misuse of chlorine! Our installer promised he would get this fixed but still chasing him and now decided to start a ‘plainte officielle’. Feeling very let down and angry about it all but just wanted to know if anyone else had ever experienced a similar problem with chlorine damage in pipes in a pool still relatively new? Thanks!

Plenty of times! Often the cause is putting chlorine galets in the skimmers. Galets are very acidic and when the pump switches off at the end of its run the chemical attack begins. I fitted a new skimmer to one pool with instructions NOT to put galets in the skimmer but put them in a floating dispenser. Didnt listen and after 6 months the skimmer had a rough finish to the plastic like it had aged 5-10 years in 6 months.
Is your pipe rigid PVC or flex pipe?

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. It’s a flex pipe and the report showed the hole located about a metre in from the first skimmer with a ‘popcorn’ effect. At no time were we advised not to put galets directly in the skimmer and there was no mention of it in the paperwork we received from the installer. We thought we were being really careful and doing the right thing. Interestingly, in the pipe manufacturers’ brochure, it shows a rigid pipe fitting not a flex one. May I ask your advice as to what would be the best way to add chlorine to our pool going forward? Any help would be appreciated…-:slight_smile:

When I had a pool (before moving) I’d always put the chlorine galet (200g) in the skimmer, never had a problem with the skimmer or basket. It also helped stopping the basket moving during boisterous :astonished: pool use

Just done a random internet search on ‘best use of chlorine galets’ and quite a few of them (French) say using them in the skimmers is the easiest and most common way. Confusing to say the least!

Because they get to repair them earning more money €. 75% of The pool industry is prettycute at taking full advantage of customers and the other 25% are thick.

How does that comment help progress towards stopping bad practices? Rigid pipe is a bit more robust than flex pipe so can last a bit longer but the chemical damage is fact not falacy.

The floating dispensers are where galets should go, also worth a tether in front of a return jet where possible. That said continued use of galets sends the cyanuric acid chlorine stabiliser level up to a point where you will lose control of the water sanitation. Once you have sufficient CYA 30-50ppm you should switch to eau de javel from a brico shed, that you can just pour into the pool.

I thought flexi pipe would be more tolerant to chlorine, no? I have to move my pump room this winter and plan to use flexi for all new pipe runs. Mistake?

All for Javel - dead easy and inexpensive. I just wish everyone used it throught the winter so the bricos would stock the stuff! I have to make a couple of trips to a brico in Septemeber
to fill up my boot with containers for stock :grinning:

The galets without stabiliser do not affect CYA - do they?

They are calcium hypochlorite and should not come into contact with sodium hypochlorite galets, as it dangerous. They wont have much effect on CYA at normal levels.

Its the additional plasticiser in flex pipe that suffers from low pH situations. In Janes case, it could be a piece broke off and came to rest in one spot. There are some new insect proof flex pipes but generally they safe in contact with normal levels of chemicals but galets in skimmers is not good.

Just my experience of 20 years of pool ownership.

How many pools?

Just the one - couldnt afford any more than that, and it would probably have looked a bit silly having 2😉

1 Like

I think you get the point :blush: for those of us doing these things, we see a lot more issues. Trying to modify bad practices only helps improve things for owners who bear the brunt of bad information, often financially.

My pool renovation used flexible pipe - the installer recommended flexi in case of movement outside the pool shell area (the new pool is inside the old). It cost 6.44 EUR per metre. This is the spec of the product:

[TRANSLATED] Special chlorine soft PVC pressure hoseØ50mm in 50ml coils, compliant with ISO 3994 standard. HIDROTUBOPLUS flexible PVC hose is the first hose to feature an internal layer with a PROTECT system, a special formula that protects against the oxidizing and abrasive effects of chlorine, while guaranteeing the total resistance of your pool’s hydraulic system. The HIDROTUBO PLUS advantages:- Resistance to erosion and flattening- Guaranteed resistance to the corrosive action of chlorine- Total, safe installation guarantee- 5 times more resistant than conventional PVCThe composition of HIDROTUBO PLUS pipe : 1 - High-quality flexible PVC lining with greater-than-normal thickness2 - Inner spiral in high-quality rigid PVC for high crush resistance3 - Inner layer with specially formulated PROTECT system. Anti-abrasive and antioxidant, it offers extra protection against the effects of chlorine, ensuring total resistance to chlorine in swimming pools and other chlorinated water installations.

1 Like

Yes the better pipes are out there. Would be interested to ask the manufacturers about low pH situations and not just chlorine. We know from liner materials that lower pH situations can cause shrinking, wrinkling and brittleness in the flexible liner materials.

I could certainly ask the manufacturers.

Certainly new to me…never heard of that. I have always put two tablets in each of the two skimmers weekly, as directed. Never had a problem in 25 years.

Well aren’t you the lucky one.

As I expect quite a lot of things are like Homeserve are a rip off con.