Poppy Day/anniversaire de l'armistice

Looking for advice/tips on how to go about the distribution of the symbolic poppies to those who might like to wear one in commemoration of those who died in combat, or the effects of combat on civilians.

And advice on the collection of free-will donations to the Royal British Legion, in support of the wounded and bereaved.

I’ve sought a meeting with our Mayor, and his adjoint has told me that the matter has never previously been raised, and she has never seen the Coquelicot before, nor heard of it.

I have close neighbours who are anciens combattants and I expect that their approval and authorisation, or that of their commandant, will be essential in some form, and I hope forthcoming, so I shall seek it.

I should also like to lay a British Legion gerbe of poppies at the war memorial at the Armistice Day ceremony, if official authorisation is granted.

If anyone has done any or all of this before in France your experience will be very gratefully received. Needless to say I have a carnet d’autorisation for this activity from the Royal British Legion.

There’s a picture of the RBL “kit” below for those interested! Thanks in advance :hugs:

1 Like

Welcome back @Peter_Goble

2 Likes

Hi Peter

Have all your details/authorisations etc ready for your meeting with the Maire and his Adjoints.

Locally, on 11th November the Brits wear poppies (if they wish to) and pop money into the French Collecting Tin as a French Bluet is stuck to the lapel (or wherever).

This has been going on for years… and the Brits have also been allowed to play a small part in the brief ceremony at the Monument aux Morts in the square …

After all the readings/speeches and before the final salute - raising/lowering of the flags - one Brit always says …

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them. "

followed by a resounding echo from everyone else…

We Will Remember Them !

Our Brits do not lay gerbes of any sort… but, we have never asked so no idea if this would be acceptable.

I must add that the Maire etc and all the French who attend the ceremony are always very appreciative of the British support. Indeed, Brits sometimes outnumber the rest…

Good luck with this… hope your Maire is agreeable to your plans.

1 Like

Glad you’re back Peter!

1 Like

No advice I’m afraid, but good to see you again.

1 Like

Yep, welcome back Peter :slight_smile:

1 Like

:hugs: Peter :hugs:

A few years ago I went along to a rememberance service/ lunch which is organised by the troisième âge every year. If such exisits in your commune, the Marie will know which direction to point you.

1 Like

We were invited to lay a Poppy Wreath at our commune’s ceremony last year. We wear our Poppies and receive a Bleuet for our donation and then, off to the Salle Polyvalente for wine and nibbles.

3 Likes

My pupils learnt the words cenotaph, wreath, remembrance, symbolic value etc today and are learning ‘In Flanders Fields’ by John McCrae off by heart, for Friday.

Picture is my cardigan just now.

8 Likes

You are a remarkable boon to Anglo-French relations, Veronique. The seeds of friendship you sow will surely enrich the impoverished soil of our shared but precarious future. :hugs:

I think songs are a fantastic way of learning a second or third language. The cadences, rhythms and emotional content make a huge difference to retention, accessibility and authentic expression.

I love singing along with Tino Rossi, Mistinguett, Jean Sablon and Maurice Chevalier. Whiskery stuff, I know, but so am I. ‘J’ai deux amours’ with Josephine Baker in the bath…:face_with_hand_over_mouth: (or is that too far, Stella?) :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

About 10 years ago I taught in college for a year and did a series of lessons on Remembrance Sunday for my 5° (age 12ish), they watched the Queen at the cenotaph laying wreaths etc, discussed what they saw, listened to poems, watched a bit of the final episode of Blackadder etc.
Anyway after the first lesson they all turned up wearing home-made poppies. :cry: too sweet.

1 Like

Another deserving cause, perhaps?

“Lest we forget…”

This rash of glistening, glittering, enamelled and gilded poppy-themed brooches and lapel-pins.

Isn’t it a little un-British and stuck-up?

What ailed the simple paper poppy (without the redundant ‘leaf’)?

Its the politics of envy @Peter_Goble
The message is being lost in typical “one-up-manship” british culture.

1 Like

I guess it’s a personal preference but as long as the money is going to the Royal British Legion (like in the blue link below) I don’t see a problem with it.
Here is a selection of the more " fancier" poppies. The Poppy Shop

1 Like

It has got more and more difficult to encourage folk to part with their money… and, as far as I am concerned, the rot set in when it was made illegal for Poppy Sellers to approach passers-by.

They now had to wait silently on the pavement and hope that passers-by would approach them and ask to buy a poppy… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

With a £29.99 ‘glorious (dead)’ perma-pin it will be so much easier to walk with a confident “I’m a lifetime donor” smile past the pavement poppy tray.

How conveniently modern!

I would imagine those with a “bobby dazzler” to put on each year, will stop to donate at the poppy tray but without the need to take a paper poppy every time.

So, it may well be a modern thing but more eco-friendly too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

How so @Anglozone

Less manufacturing etc, a paper poppy could always be reused :thinking: but a permanent brooch would be more durable " recycling" in effect :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like