Porc saumure

I lke to buy at source but often find buying meat, as opposed to poultry from the farm is very complicated. One may need to order in advance from a list that only contains the most popular cuts, cotes, supremes etc alternatively you turn up on an open day and grab what you can. I’d prefer to be able to buy a few cheaper cuts like joues et pieds with a couple of large supremes, which can be amazing value in terms of cost per portion.

Anybody who only operates online via Facebook and Twix have no chance of getting any of my business.

1 Like

Could’ve posted the following reply under 'Life’s small irritations

So many small restos use Facebook instead of having a web site, but when you try to check the menu via that route, too often there’s just a customer’s badly taken photo of some blackboard with an unreadable menu du jour.

2 Likes

Back to the original subject. Off I went to the big Auchun at Marsac today today to get a decent sized porc samure, Lidl only does 500g) and nope not a single one! Is it a regional thing and Lidl doe a lot of that? @vero do you know anywhere in Bergerac that sells them?

I don’t know at all sorry, maybe Aldi if not Lidl?

1 Like

Damn thought you might!

Just looked at the big intermarche and they have Palette de porc demi sel in a 1kg. Is thus similar?

Palette is shoulder blade, is that what you want?It’s usually very delicious and a nice texture.

We got one and I think it was SuperU, if it’s the same thing, picture below.

2654217000000_A_328952654217000000_S01

Not seen kale on sale in France, does it have a special season or some other name?

Chou kale
Never seen it in the supermarkets I think our local market gardener grows it but I grow our own.

1 Like

Thanks, me neither but maybe that fresh store that people mention. Would grow my own but not over for long enough at the moment.

Grand frais - and yes it has it.

1 Like

It’s a winter crop around here (Lot Valley) Local producteurs in a meander just upstream from us have green and purple kale and all the brassicas. Their fields smell horrible!

One of the less well-known advantages of living in a rocky gorge is that you’re unlikely to be able to smell brassicas anywhere beyond the kitchen.

What are they spraying on them?
We had fields of kale for animal fodder and they never smelled.
Only when cutting and smelled like cut cabbage,

Bollocky bollocky bollocks :rage: I tried GF today, no luck so thought ‘I’ll just go back to Lidl and get 2 of the little fellas’ They didn’t have them :sob: :sob: This kind of supports my theory that they are maybe some regional product that they just get in occasionally. I spotted a Jarret De porc demi-sel so thought that might work. Currently in the oven as a test but already 90% sure it isn’t what I want :pleading_face: was so excited to have my Christmas meal plan organised in advance and no it is all ruined :sob: I asked a friend at work and she’d never heard of it!

What I’m trying to do is get the closest I can to an Aussie Christmas ham in flavour.

The porc samaure was so nearly there I was thrilled! It is a bit like gammon but different too. Has anyone got any ideas???

What is a pallette De porc? I found this on Intermarches website. Would it do the job?
https://www.intermarche.com/produit/palette-de-porc-demi-sel-vpf/0220044000000

Worst is kids were so excited I’d found something. HELP!!!

Did I not say earlier? It is the pig’s shoulder blade, you can get it with or without the bone. So the top of the shoulder. It is very moelleux and has a good flavour.

So you did :rofl:!! Oups! I don’t know if it’s what I want :rofl:. Will it taste like Aussie Christmas ham??! :rofl: :rofl: :mx_claus:

The Jarret too salty, knew it would be as soaked for 4 hours instead if 8 :rofl: still not there! How much cold sandwich meat will I have in the freezer before Monday :rofl: