Porc saumure

Tory, the whole of SF is anxiously following your quest -

will Tory’s sprogs eat Aussie ham on Christmas Day?

Bonne chance !

3 Likes

Thank you Mark!! :rofl:

The Jarret was totally not it, couldn’t have got a single nice slice from it. Basically ham flavoured lamb shank, 50% bone, lits if sinew / fat. I gave the kitten some leftovers (also enough for a small sandwich for me). Hope I haven’t hurt him with too much salt!

I too have been busy in the kitchen, baking for my pupils and colleagues

I did the Christmas trees last by which time I was wondering what access of lunacy prompted baking and icing the brutes, and had lost the will to live.

8 Likes

Just cooked our Christmas ham (cola method) and very nice it is too :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It is great for making it really tender :sunglasses:

Where did you buy it? Looks yum!

Tory, if you want to try the below I can get some the next time I am back and send you them to try, it’s what we use.
My mates bring me back a few in the New Year if you want one, they are €8 for a 1.3kg.

HXK351

1 Like

Tesco …shhhh🤐

1 Like

Has anyone seen the price per kg for meats on all the UK Christmas ads? SO much cheaper!

That’s so kind of you but I’m going to try making my own hams in the new year. I have asked Santa for a syringe and meat thermometer for Christmas :mx_claus:

4 Likes

And the vegetables, most things in fact.
The thing that is strange is the malnutrition thats also on the increase.

Aren’t they usually quoted in £’s per lb, whereas here it’s €’s per Kg. Looking for a turkey for Christmas here, there were many options at around € 7 per Kg, which is approximately £2.75 per lb. In my book, that’s very cheap, probably too cheap. Even the more expensive options were less than twice that. We paid around €11 per Kg.

Err, don’t you need a pig as well? :thinking: :rofl:

Just been to the fish lady’s stall and she had sold out of fish, plenty of shelled animals around but I won’t eat anything that is looking at me. My friend, Laurant, Christine’s husband, looked at me in shock. :rofl:

1 Like

Usually per kilo now, pounds and ounces have fallen out of vogue. So Tesco clubcard price was £6 per kilo for a standard beef joint and £7.50 for finest silverside. As Corona said, veggies are extraordinarily cheap at 30p per kg carrots, parsnips, potatoes and a little more for fresh green veg. Meat is still not expensive if you are happy with factory-produced. Aldi and Lidl can be even cheaper. Some of these are Christmas prices, but not all. Air fryers are the new in gadget, and make it possible to cook many of these things using less electricity and at relatively low cost to buy.

I wonder if malnutrition is partly an educational issue, although I fully recognise that some are really struggling financially and need help.

We bought a good selection in Lidl at 15p a kilo or per item. Buckets of chicken naf burgers etc dont come with things providing good nutrition and the folk around Lewisham have big numbers of these places. The ones that are too fat or lazy to go and get their own can get more junk delivered by moped. Its bloody sad to see.

1 Like

Quite seriously, I do sometimes worry that we don’t pay enough for for our good food, but OTOH that would make McD et al look even more like a viable option. It feels like the quality of food available at affordable prices has never been better.

Except with the “gammons” :smiley: :smiley:

Pints won’t go away. :+1:t3:

No it’s all a nonsense because imperial measures were never “outlawed by the EU” anyway. However apart from the few traditional measures that have been retained (pints for beer, and yards/miles for distance) very few businesses or even members of the public want to be bothered with imperial units any more.

And now back to the discussion of real porky substances! :slight_smile:

We’ve had some really nice hams over the years from Donald Russell in Aberdeenshire, but thanks to Brexit I don’t think they would ship anything to France.

True, the big argument was Gov vs a small butcher, he was prosecuted for not going to Kg. He fought a long battle and eventually got it overturned as UK Gov using some act were stuffed as they still had MPH and miles etc so knackered by their own act. Sadly the butcher died shortly before seeing his battle come into force.

Pints will only disappear if they’re downed…

2 Likes