Positive aspects of the pandemic

The removal of the distraction of following professional football online together with the possibility of imminent incapacitation has prompted me to start doing all the jobs I’ve postponed or prevaricated over.

Stabilising the new kitchen sink (even in less uncertain times, life’s too short for that explanation), digging over seed beds, sowing salads and tidying the garden after all the rain. Even found time to get my hammock out of winter storage and test it (and it still works). Presumably the brico stores will be closed tomorrow, but I’ve got enough of everything for a couple of month’s DIY.

Meanwhile, OH slightly surprised by all this sudden activity…

3 Likes

I do hope this remark is not as ominous for your personal future as, for me Mark, it reads… :thinking::confused:

Thanks for your generous concern, certainly when writing the initial post it crossed my mind that many SF contributors probably have more years than my mere sixty-seven.

A propos which, as far as I can ascertain, as long as I remain in France, I’m in the safe(er/ish) under-seventy group, whereas if I was rash enough to visit Luxembourg, where the newly announced dangerous threshold is sixty-five, well …?

Fortunately, despite having had many excellent Luxembourgeois students, even in healthier times, I never found a pressing reason to visit the place…

1 Like

I may not be the oldest person posting on this site, but I am probably the only one whose parents were born in the 19th century - just. Father lied about his age and served in the 1914/18 war. He died at the age of 67, which was about average for men of his generation.
I am already 16 years older than that. They have been very good years (definitely better than the first 16) and I rejoice in belonging to the longest lived generation that has ever existed - and possibly ever will exist.
So it certainly makes sense to take all reasonable precautions during the present crisis, because I hope for several more good years and I still have some unfulfilled ambitions.

2 Likes

For us, the best part of all this is the quiet late evenings with the forced closure of the Cafe / Bar across the street. When we first came here it was privately owned and closed by 8pm each evening, but now that it is owned by the Commune the place is often open until 2am.
The clientele has grown considerably over the last year or so which is probably down to the new attractions of an electronic darts machine and a pinball machine, together with the regular ‘Bellowing in the Street after Midnight’ and ‘Longest Urination against the Church Wall’ competitions.
So yes, we are indeed looking forward to the quiet evenings and small hours to come.

Being a banking auditor I have the order to work at home until the situation becomes safer. I spend more time with my daughter, she is 5 years old. I started to learn her reading and writing, After a long and rainy winter in Picardie, we are rediscovering the pleasure of playing both in the garden.

I left the parisian life 7 years ago, all my best friends never understood my decision to live off grid in the woods. Now they would all kill to leave big cities.

My wife is on fire, every evening is terrific. I love the coronavirus.

1 Like