Positive news about Orange/Sosh fibre

I know that Orange (& therefore it’s cheaper offering, Sosh) are often a source of complaint & ridicule by many people on & off this forum so, for once, I’d like to tell a positive story.

Without warning in late June this year (2023) Orange’s subcontractor in our area (14500), Sogetrel, installed the 1100m of fibre from the main road to our hameau of 4 houses. A couple of weeks later they installed the termination box from whence individual clients are connected.

Although we (nor my nearest neighbour) never received a direct notification that fibre was now on offer I did notice it was an option when organising the swap of our Livebox after it got fried by lightning 4 weeks ago.

I finally got around to applying for fibre (via Sosh’s website) on a Wednesday evening, 23/08/2023. I had instant acknowledgment of my order, & asked to set a rendezvous for the connection, which could have been as early as the following Wednesday! Due to a previous commitment I pushed that to the following day, Thursday 31/08/2023.

The fibre (& the traditional 'phone line) arrives at our hameau overhead. When we first had a 'phone line 20 years ago I had installed the 150m of underground ducts needed to reach us from the last poteau; my neighbour, quite rightly, had objected to (then) France Telecom putting up the 3 new poles that would have been required to reach us on his land. I had put in 2 ducts (as was regulation at the time) - one for the telephone & one for future fibre.

I had a busy weekend locating all the 5 old regards that I had put in, then having to thread in new pull lines. The most annoying bit was finding that one of my fibre ducts had been trashed/block by a géometre’s borne that had been added in the intervening years. However, the installer was quite happy to pull the fibre through the same duct as the 'phone line.

Sosh dispatched the new Livebox 5 the following day & it was delivered to us (via a Point Relais) on Friday 25/09/2023.

During the few days after the order I received many emails & texts dealing with the contract change, plus confirming the rendezvous time - arrival of installer between 10.00 & 13.30, with the job estimated to take 3,5 hours from their arrival time.

Separately, Sogetrel, the subcontractor, sent a questionnaire to find out if we knew where we wanted the optical termination point to go in the house, whether the incoming line was overhead or underground &, if underground, where “the” regard was - there was no option to tell them the distance & the number of regards.

Even more impressively the evening before the installation I received a text with a link to a special webpage that introduced me to the technician who would be coming, with the option to send him a direct message. I took the opportunity to tell him exactly what was involved, the fact that I would be on hand help him & that being an electrician I had plenty of experience pulling in underground services. I was also able give him the exact location, as the online application (despite correctly showing our hameau) decided that it had a totally different name.

On the day of installation the technician called me about 10.00 to double check the address, then arrived at 10.15. We had some huffing & puffing pulling in the cable, but he was very good natured & nothing was too much trouble. Apart from a brief coffee break at lunchtime everything took the time estimated & he left us with a completely working system, & a big smile.

We’ve gone from a 5,6mbps download & 0,9 upload ADSL connection to a tad over 300mbps in both directions. The offer from Sosh is for a minimum of 300mbps, which I suspect is more than adequate for most people.

“What’s the cost?” I hear you say… Our rubbish ADSL used to cost us 20,99€/mois - the 300mbps fibre is ours for 30,99€/mois. There was no installation charge. I’m hoping to claw the increase back by taking up a cheaper option for my mobile, but that’s another story.

EDIT: This offer is NOT one that increases dramatically after 12 months, unlike some.

In conclusion, Sosh are highly recommended.

I could not have asked for a simpler, quicker & more pleasant experience from Orange/Sosh. The only hurdles were physical ones related to the state of my old underground ducts, & the worry about the possibly incorrect address.

This wasn’t meant to end up being this long - any more & I’ll need to call myself a blogger, or start a podcast.

10 Likes

Although they offer these high speeds unless you are a heavy game player, do they offer lower speed packages at lower prices?
Having been on 210mb for 2 years the company now offer slower deals which I will almost certainly take up.

1 Like

I had a similarly efficient and timely installation by Sosh [Sogetrel] to my house right on the edge of the town, Vire.

€25.99 for 12 months, then €30.99, at which point I will look to switch because prices should reduce as usage/coverage increases.

However, my speeds are pathetic. I just ran Ookla again and, as before, got u/l : 28 d/l : 20. I must have words with Sosh …

Not good if you are on FTTP; have you eliminated any bottlenecks in your own setup?

This is what I get on VDSL - no fully fibre option for me at the moment

I get the full 300 in both directions after my installation in July. Have you tried a wired connection to ensure it’s not a WiFi issue? Any neighbours who might be on the same WiFi channels?

Even good Wi-Fi has an impact - the Speedtest result above is over WiFi, even though I’m supposedly connected at 650Mb/s; Speedtest from a wired PC shows

My actual connection speed according to the Lvebox is:

If you mean are their any others hitching a ride on my connection, this is what I see

Plugging in ethernet cable the best I get from the selection of servers is

Odd that there isn’t one at Caen.

The result is way better than the above. What does that imply?

I don’t know what this means. Explain as per ‘Internet for Dummies’ please! :slightly_smiling_face:

Surfshark is not connected a.t.mo but I do occasionally see a message telling me that it must run something or other ‘in the background’ and would I please enable this. I do, although I don’t know what that means.

I have no idea what SmartyDNS PPTP is … :thinking:

Stranger and stranger. On wireless, all of a sudding I get
from Rennes, which Okkla has never chosen before as best connection and on the usual, St Helier, I get

All results a long way short of advertised speeds but better than 28 u/load …

I remain foxed.

SmartyDNS is a DNS resolver service for VPN connections - do you have a VPN running somewhere on your network, e.g. for IPTV or some such ?

1 Like

I saw a vid that demonstrated that connecting a TV by cable restricted the speed - a built-in speed limiter - as opposed to faster by wifi.

Any comments?

If you use the Ma LIvebox app it tells you the speed of internet connection to the Livebox itself, & you can also see the speed to the device that you are running the app on.

Mine reports around 305mbps up & down for the box, a tad under that for my 'phone if it’s on the direct Livebox wifi (& near the box).

My desktop, connected via a gigabit ethernet switch, also runs at nearly 300mbps.

However, I have a secondary network that isn’t on gigabit ethernet & that only gives me around 80mbps for connected wifi devices (which, TBH, is more than adequate).

Not exactly

WiFi will share a channel if it sees other traffic from your neighbour - they will be using their own connection and not hijacking yours, but it reduces the speed any one Wi-Fi connection can achieve.

I’d be slightly sceptical - perhaps that particular TV only had a 100Mbps Ethernet port (TV manufacturers like to save money).

Thanks to you all for your help. I shall resume my delving once this warmliness has abated, later, to take advantage of best paint-drying conditions.

Indeed, though I find it to be negligible with my mesh system. I was actually very surprised at the speed over WiFi.

What does it do to your ping time, if on a node not directly connected to the LAN or WAN (that will be the question any gamer wants answered).

I still prefer Ethernet backbones if multiple APs are involved.

Mesh can be useful if you just want to throw something together quickly, of course, or can’t get a wired connection between the nodes but need more reach than one AP can manage.

1 Like

Multi comments on the Philips 705 model on this subject report that it is also blighted by a 100Mb/s port but none of the adapters recommended to get round this work with this TV. Philips confirmed that they won’t. Does on LGs and Sonys

This guy is a professional TV colour grader, with a YT channel reviewing TVs and associated matters. He’s excellent.

Do TV’s benefit from 1Gbps rather than 100Mbps - I’d argue that they don’t.

If it’s a 4k set then it needs 25Mbps for x.264, maybe half that for x.265 - in which case 100Mbps is plenty on the wired port. And let’s face most people do not hook their TV up to Ethernet anyway.

8k sets probably have 1Gbps adapters but even then you’d (just about) get away with 100Mbps as 8k x.265 only needs about 50Mbps

I try to connect any device which doesn’t move via Ethernet - but I agree most don’t.

1 Like

Quite. Actually both of the TVs that I have are “hard wired” though one is via a powerline adapter which only gets about 130Mbps so it doesn’t really matter whether it has Gbps Ethernet or 100Mbps.

Needless to say I haven’t noticed any issue related to the network speed.

That was my problem, getting cable to where I wanted it. I don’t really game so I’ve never really paid much attention to ping. The last time I worried about that was when I was screen scraping the Dell Outlet looking for mispriced bargains. Happy days.

1 Like