Possible brit exit

…didn’t do their a accounts - only my own!

Aw, shucks babe!

OK Brian but no cross-dressing this time, ok ?

' les gogues '

OK, steps of the Hôtel de ville. We'll look just like everybody else giving somebody a large brown paper bag.

Any chance we can change the password ?

I mean ''Public bog Périgueux" is a bit bleedin' obvious innit !!

Third cubicle on the right, usual password.

Oh good usual place then ,public toilets in Périgueux ?

The appropriate bribe compensation will be ready and waiting in a hand held discretely behind my back.

..that's a terrible insinuation, wash your mouth out immediately !

Solicitors "Sue, Grabbit & Runne" have been notified..

and there are no solicitors in the world who bend rules or accept a higher than usual fee...

Yes, Shirley, you're right about providing for tax-bills. That's why my shares are all on a PEA account (Plan d'épargne en Actions), so no taxes will be paid on it, since I have had it since 1998. As long as you don't take any money out during the first 5 years, it's tax-exempt.

However, as is the case with financial transactions, there is a 0.2% tax each time you buy shares (not when you sell them) as I do on an almost daily basis with Cortal-Consors, on line.

Also, the day I decide to cash in my PEA , I will pay CSG and RDS, maybe 15.5% on the appreciation (plus-value).

You can start a PEA with a maximum of 150,000€ for a single person

Dont forget John, that a couple of years ago the French tax position re shares changed.

It became Value at time of initial purchase and difference in value as at then curent year end. Difference in value having to be declared and treated as taxable perceived income, even if they just sat there only earning declared dividend tax paid interest!

I remember Conexxion telling us all that, but think it was supposed to apply from 2012/3. Dont remember exactly as I was ‘out of it’ most of 2013, but im sure someone will put me straight on it!

Keep enough to pay the tax bill though John!

Re your sisters story Brian, and the cashin the suitcase to buy the vendors house . After selling our business in 2001, i worked for a seaside solicitor, be oming an untrained, legal secretary for 3 of the 6.5 yrs before I retired and we moved over here.

During the 3 yrs, the then government changed some of the UK Land Registry rules, which meant that a LR? number, (70 something I think!) single page Certificate became the one and only document necessary to provide unassailable proof of ownership and the owners right to sell. If there was a mortgage, loan, Lien or Court Order on the property, that information was also registered with the LR and put on the Certificate. On sale of property, enter herewith Estate Agent, unless a private sale, but EA and/or sellers Solr would both write to buyers Solr, solicitor, who basically did all the work re searches etc. once Lr Cert received!

The onus was always on sellers Solr to apply for the Certificate to pass on to Buyers Solr!

When we acted for the buyer, who told EA who their Solr was, the sellers EA would pass details to us in writing, of which meant that the solic and buyers we acted for had to provide proof of identity, i.e. passport, which we photocopied and kept on our files, they also had to declare where the money was coming from to enable the purchase,

Every 8 years or so we get a crash. This time we're blaming China, next time it'll be something else. If the CAC40 goes below 2900 points again, I'll buy a ton of shares. It's worth waiting for. As you say, the VIX index is the one to watch.

Sometimes big investors deliberately make the indices go down in order to dissuade the central banks from raising interest-rates.

As for the exchange-rate, my capital is mostly in €uros, so no worries for the moment. It must be a concern for those who receive a pension in GBP. I understand that the devaluation of the Pound Sterling in 20085 was nasty from that point of view.

After falling during the financial crisis of 2007-2010 to below 3500 in March 2009, the FTSE 100 index recovered to a peak of 6091.33 on 8 February 2011, fell under the 5000 mark on the morning of 23 September 2011, but reached its record high on the market close of 27 April 2015, more than doubling in value from the crash in 2009.[5] On 24 February 2015 the index had closed at 6943.63 breaking through its previous all-time high of 6930 which had been reached on the last trading day of 1999

Yes, slight financial sector recovery and there will be sun today. Better Diddums Peter?

I asked the other day, where is Farage and his party, my MP doesn’t respond to my emails now. I was aware during my fathers foray into local politics in Scotland that they received many EU grants. I think also NI benefitted after the IRA calmed down. also the spate of’Cities of Culture’ and their regeneration, Liverpool and Glasgow are 2 that come to mind, and possibly/probably were funded with help of EU grants. Not sure about Wales and Cardiff.
So yes we will all have a lot to lose if the majority vote is for a Brexit, because the majority vote would probably come from England!

The reciprocal arrangments may or may not continue with France independently, but if they dont, the French Government will have to support healthwise, their own Nationals in the UK where the French employed will be paying their taxes, possibly NI contributions and making tax returns in France as well!

I just hope my assumptions are not correct! Its the archetypal 'B…S Muddle!

Isn’t one ofthe biggest problems also with the Uk electorate itself? Especially with the Daily Mail in mind, which appeals to more women supposedly than any other daily paper, in that majority of them (whole electorate) are not interested in or don’t see why expats should be allowed to vote. I see almost no support for expats coming from UK.
The DM was quite vitriolic about expats in one edition a few months back.

Do you have any good news BM ?

Now is the time to worry. The VIX index, most often known as the Fear Index, hit its highest level since January 2009 today. It surged by 67% today up to 53 which is a level that has not seen since the aftermath of the Lehman Brothers’ collapse in 2008. The VIX tracks the prices of options on the Standard and Poors 500, which are the ones that are most often used to hedge against potential losses. So a leap in the VIX shows that investors are getting pretty scared..... The FTSE 100 closed 4.67% down today which makes it one of the biggest daily falls since 1984. If the UK thinks it is time to leave the EU and stand alone, then we better get scared too. If we get scared then we should do something. It is no joke to see the exchange rate go from €1.42 down to €1.36 at close of trading today as quickly as it did. It shows just how volatile the market is.