Possible problems for selling property from 2025

Last night my son had the rep for a large solar panel company come to give him a devis for installing said panels on his roof so that they can benefit from almost free electricity eventually. He said he had to mention that all financial government help stops next year and that from 2025, a new law (climat et résilience) would prevent homeowners renting out and also selling properties that did not meet A or B on enegy diagnostics. Also all new builds from that date or even 2024 will have to have solar panels fitted by law. Apparently immobiliers are very angry about this asit means many people will not be able to sell if they wish and their property does not meet these strict new regulations. There will also be no financial help from the government either for the private sector. This was not scare tactics to get my son to sign up for the work, he has done that because he feels he is more likely to sell the house easier whenthey move in about five years time and also more attractive to buyers if that work has already been done plus as his chauffe-eau is old, he is also having a heat pump system fitted at the same time.

I find the idea that La France is going to prevent the sale of all her old stone house laughable.

3 Likes

Well I could not believe it either and I looked up the loi online and it seems pretty harsh hence why the immos are getting worried. If I had not sold up andmoved recently I would have had a 450+ year old solid granite house around my neck with no way of doing these sort of works either financially or possible on that style of construction, hence why we could not have a VMC fitted or even solar panels fitted to a hand cut slate roof.

I remember seeing something on the news a while back about landlords not being allowed to rent out properties that had an energy score of D or below, and they interviewed an in estate agent who said they were getting lots of landlords suddenly selling up because they were unable / didn’t want to invest to bring their tenants’ places up to the required standard.

Not heard anything about residential sales being subjected to this kind of thing… But I’m currently renting, so it might be good news for me if it means people will rush to sell up before this kicks in, as I can bargain with them for a better price.

I should look into this.

Do you have a reference to it please?

Untrue - as your gut told you, it’s a mixture of half-facts and downright fiction.

Here’s a link in English, though I’m not convinced it gives a full picture: How will the new DPE change the French housing stock?

And here’s the official version: Projet de loi énergie-climat : l’Assemblée nationale adopte un bloc de mesures pour en finir avec les passoires thermiques | Ministère de la Transition Écologique et de la Cohésion des Territoires

1 Like

Phew… interesting reading…

as far as I can see in either language… it’s all about what you can and can’t rent out…!!

and if you’re selling… you have to disclose the energy situation… (which has been the case for some years…)

my home is 800+ years old… with walls 1-2 metres thick in places…modernised in 1845… :wink: :+1:

6 Likes

deleted double post

Finally we can see those drafty old chateau bulldozed to make room for modern insulated homes, about time to! :joy:

I bet someone’s planning Escape to the Pavillon even as we write!

8 Likes

Probably just a journalist making sure their piece gets read by attracting click bait reading. Let the dust settle and see what really is happening.

We do get lots of phonecalls offering to do quote for work… but it’s not feasible as I know from the experts who’ve visited us over the years.
We’ve done lots of basic stuff and it’s not draughty, just not air-tight (which is fine). Nice and cosy with the log fire going…
and we are preparing to wear 27 layers of undergarments this winter… :rofl: :wink:

8 Likes

Should leave some space in the wardrobe so a win win

As things stand, F and G become unrentable in the new year. E becomes unrentable in 2034.

I’m currently working out what needs to be done to a couple of flats to make them go from G to D, and it looks like about £5k of insulation each, which is not horribly onerous. Good insulation, interior or exterior, makes the biggest immediate impact for the least money.

I think your chap is selling some alarmist exaggerations there.

2 Likes

The article linked below details the energy rating criteria:

Same here. Every window and door is double glazed and draught-proofed as much as possible. Insulation installed in the attic and cave. Thermally reflective sheeting behind CH radiators and a reflective wall panel behind the living log burner. Heavy winter curtains in the living room and one blocking the draught from the old bread oven chimney in the hallway.

Absolutely no chance of getting above a C rating unless we sprayed the whole house with a 30cm coating of insulation foam.

1 Like

Do they work?

they did in UK, where each radiator on an “outer” wall was fitted with 'em…

2 Likes

Based purely on the feel of more heat being radiated into the room rather than being absorbed into our 50cm thick dressed stone walls, I’d say a resounding “Yes”.

You can spend a lot of money on panel to put behind the wall mounted radiators, but we just purchased a 10m long x 2m wide roll of the aluminium foil covered bubble wrap insulating matting and cut it to size, slotting it over the radiator mounting brackets.

The panel behind the log burner was rather more expense as it’s basically a ventilated metal tray with solid insulation panel inside.

Heat is reflected back into the room and not absorbed by the stone and any warm air behind the panel is allowed to circulate back into the room.

Both are available in all good Bricosheds.

3 Likes

Thanks. Very useful to know. We too have thick stone walls.

1 Like