Post to and from UK

Hi,has anyone posted a letter to the UK from France in the last week or so,just wondered if it was normal service/delivery time.Someone told me last week that you still couldn,t post a letter or package from the UK to Europe because of the cyber attack that Royal Mail had some weeks ago,anybody know if it is ok,thanks.

I posted a letter to the UK on the 24th Jan - International Tracked.

It arrived OK a few days later.

Received a letter to day posted 11 01 23 from Kent. Cost Ā£3.05. 100g

Iā€™ve had no problem throughout this period when posting to the UK from France. However, the other way round is still taking a long time to resolve - I received something last week which was posted well before Christmas, whereas something posted on 20th January came only 4 days later.

I received a useless radio from UK last week less than a week after it was ordered. Just sent it back. On verra. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A friend is trying to get a small jiffy bag to me. Went again to the PO in the UK last week and it was still refused. Letters / cards etc are fine - itā€™s the fatter packets that may still be an issue - or at least were last week.

Maybe mine started out with a different carrier then, but it certainly arrived here with the postman.

Drugs need to be smuggled not posted :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for replies,i think i will wait for now,maybe the UK will get their act together sometime soon.

In terms of post from the UK, what are people experiencing as delivery times?

I sent off for some important certificates from the UK and the GRO claim to have dispatched them 10 days ago. They havenā€™t arrived. Is this normal for now?

A friend sent a parcel from UK on November 11th. It was returned to her on 18th January as ā€œundeliveredā€ā€¦ although suspiciously thereā€™s no post mark stamp, which makes me think it was lost for a couple of months before being discovered under a desk somewhere and they didnā€™t even bother trying to deliver it.

We also had a couple of Xmas cards that arrived in January :person_facepalming:

Sending parcels and cards from FR to UK, however, has been fine for us and currently takes anywhere between 3 - 5 days.

1 Like

Why not have them sent to a contact in UK which I find takes only3/4 days. Your contract then copies and emails them to you and you have the info you need and certificates can be collected/brought to France at a later date.
Doing it this way is as quick as getting pdf in 4 days direct from GRO when thier system allows.

2 Likes

I did think of doing that, @JohnBoy and may need to order some more copies via that route. Unfortunately, I do need the ā€œoriginalsā€, not just a copy in this instance.

Yes indeed - Iā€™m finding that direction to be fine, which is why I was so surprised not to receive this particular package as I assumd it would be symmetrical and it clearly isnā€™t :roll_eyes:

Seems that Royal Mail isnā€™t faring so well since being privatisedā€¦ Iā€™m struggling to think of any industry in the UK that is better off for having been sold off.

Can you imagine if, in France, the post was only delivered 3 days a week? And France is a much larger country than the UK.

1 Like

Completely different attitude and approach in France.

It appears to me that the first instinct in the UK is to cut services, in stark contrast to France which is to diversify.

Rather impressed with Royal Mail! Ordered a cat tracking system for my 4 cats from the UK on Thursday 14th Mar, had daily notifications from Royal Mail about delivery progress, one from La Poste, and received the package at 10am this Monday morning 18th Mar. And a few minutes later had Royal Mail & La Poste notifications that my package had been delivered. Took 4 days.

Not bad service.

1 Like

My goodness @Bonzocat ! Judging by my recent experience, you did incredibly well :smiley:

Business letters from U.K. arrive in 2-3 days. Post to the U.K. arrives eventually.

Donā€™t know of course, but I had the impression that Royal Mail & La Poste have got their act together quite deliberately. Delivery was via Heathrow & included stopping for import tax somewhere along the way (tax was included in the delivery cost) and then a surprisingly hot-footed pursuit to my front door by La Poste! What was unusual was receiving an email from both Royal Mail & La Poste within minutes informing me that delivery had been made.

1 Like