Postal voting practically impossible?

I live south of Tours in 37. Following a recent run-in with HMRC resulting in a penalty due to postal delays between France and the UK I have come to realise that although I am registered for a postal vote this is unlikely to be a practical proposition. Voting papers are supposed to be sent out by first-class post a week before polling day. I then have to post it back by return. In my experience delivery in each direction takes a full working week. Therefore as far as I can see there is no way that I can ever successfully vote.

Am I missing something?

Get a proxy vote

3 Likes

Thank you. For me that also seems impracticable as I don’t know anyone in my old constituency to vote for me.

The bigger point is that postal votes seem pretty much useless for anyone living outside the UK.

1 Like

We have a proxy postal vote which goes to our daughter in another part of England. She fills it in and sends it by post to our former constituency.

You don’t need to. Get in touch with the party in your locality that you want to vote for and they will sort you out.

2 Likes

What is the deadline for registering as a candidate? In other words how much time do we have to organise a proxy vote? And is there a deadline for organising that?

That’s what I do. Mind you it’s Corbyn’s constituency so would be deeply embarrassing if they didn’t sort it.

Not sure you meant candidate? Never thought you wanted to establish or join a political party….but if you did then too late as deadline was 19th Jan.

For the UK local elections in May the deadline for registering for a proxy vote is wednesday at 5pm.

1 Like

The SPP - Spardo People’s Party - has a ring to it don’t you think? :smiley:

2 Likes

I did mean as a candidate, but not for me but to know who and what parties were on offer to assist with a proxy vote, and I think nevertheless you have answered it, 19th of January last. So now I have to find out who they all are but I am pretty sure that the last time I checked was since then when there were only 2 or 3. Off to see who’s who as soon as I leave here. :wink:

I am not alowed to vote in the locals in May, so that doesn’t concern me.

Another thought just occurred to me after the banter above about my supposed candidacy. I thought I would be barred anyway not being a resident of the country. Is that true?

Edit: So much for the Jan deadline. No Con yet declared, also in several other E.Mids constituencies, are they packing it in? Incumbent is a Con. Those we know of are Lab., LD, Reform, and Green.

Our proxy lives in Hampshire and we vote in Stroud.
All went well last time.

So does that mean your proxy posts your vote from there or does he/she have to go there? If by post then you only know what we know posting from here, though I admit the time might be less.

Edit: I have asked my ex-wife via FB if she knows all the runners yet. She used to be very political back in the '70s, joined us both to the Cons (without telling me :astonished: :smiley:) and went canvassing for Jim bloody Lester. When she got back to HQ she discovered that she and her other lady mates were not allowed into the club bar. :rage:

Not just for that but I very much doubt she votes that way these days. :grinning:

Interestingly, the SPP could be in business - according to this Uk Gov web page you just have to be a British or Irish citizen or a Commonwealth citizen with indefinite leave to remain, and not a judge, policeman, member of the armed forces, civil servant, or bankrupt:

https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/electing-mps/candidates/

Since you are no longer a Major-General I think it’s full speed ahead with your election campaign David!

Not a Major-General, not even a Master Mariner, the only branch of the services that got me into the British Legion, ex Merchant Navy, but I thought the deadline had passed anyway.

However, just in case @JaneJones got it wrong, I am busy scribbling a manifesto even as I write. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

A halt to the manifesto, sorry to say, apparently to be an MP you need to be able to prove a certain level of cheating and lying and, sorry to say, I don’t come up to scratch.
Doesn’t matter anyway because I can’t find the photos of sexual deviency that were required as well.

Meeeeanwhile, back to the thread. Haven’t heard from Pat, my ex-wife, yet re the candidates so might try the Mayor’s office instead. Also my question about proxy voters, post or in person, remains a mystery. If they can do it by post, like me, can’t see the point. If it is a question of speed, perhaps I should ask Amazon, they’re pretty good with cross border postage. :thinking:

That’s only if you want to stand as a Tory.

With Labour it tends to be financial impropriety (though I note the Tories seem to be dabbling with that as well these days).

Well it’s good to be a well rounded party, isn’t it? :thinking:

1 Like

For those who moved here from London and still consider that there is a realistic prospect of voting there is a useful guide to the candidates here.

Yes you are certainly missing one important issue or rather the poster is. Voting papers should be sent out International Post, first class is only for delivery into the UK. The difference in cost is ÂŁ1.90. International costs ÂŁ3.25 and First Class ÂŁ1.35.

The only certain way is to appoint a proxy, except in N Ireland where Proxy Voting is not permitted.

On the subject of voting in the UK, I could not believe my ears when the family who are spread over three different counties said they were supposed to vote shortly for…a Commissioner of Police??? Never heard of such a thing and not one of them is bothering as they know nothing of the candidates and even one existed for their area. BIL is doing the vote count over two days in a nearby town afterwards as well but hes not voting either.

Yes since 2012. Police & Crime Commissioners are locally elected officials whose job is to supervise the work of the police in their area and hold them to account if necessary.

The role was introduced as it was felt that police forces were not sufficiently accountable, being supervised only by the Home Office.

It’s not the same thing as the Metropolitan Police Commissoner in London who is a career policeman and head of the Met Police.

Whether PCCs do any good or not is an open question, but that’s why they exist. Both the Tories and the LibDems had their creation in their manifestos at the 2010 election.