Posting greetings cards outside the EU - do I need to fill in a customs declaration?

I’m sorry if this has been asked before. I did look but couldn’t find it!

I’m about to send a birthday card to a friend in Australia. I know that packages need a customs declaration, but reading the blurb, I can’t tell whether cards/letters do? I remember in my childhood receiving letters in the UK from the US and I think (although memory isn’t what it was) that they had declarations on the front. I know we are in a different world and, in my case, a different country, but I’m sure some of you will definitely know the answer to this one!

Thank you!

Angela

No, it’s just personal post - unless it is blank and intended for your friend to use to send to someone else.

1 Like

Thank you Paul. That’s a relief! I couldn’t see what category to put it into…

Additional question - I regularly send copies of a newspaper to a friend back in the UK. After Brexit, I imagine that sort of thing will go into the customs declaration bucket? I noticed that there is a category for documents.

While we’re on the subject of mail to overseas destinations, I received a warning from La Poste yesterday that we will need to post Christmas greetings/parcels even earlier than usual because there are fewer commercial flights and some parcels will be sent bu sea adding 20-25 days to the delivery time.
This message only talks about French overseas departments/territories but one assumes it will be the same for the rest of the world.
So post even earlier for Christmas!

“La Poste vous informe
Spécial envoi de colis vers l’Outre-mer
Suite à la crise sanitaire, les compagnies aériennes réduisent drastiquement le nombre de leurs vols passagers commerciaux, au moyen desquels La Poste assure historiquement l’envoi des courriers et des colis à destination de l’Outre-mer. Parallèlement, la période de fin d’année s’annonce historique en termes de volumes de colis avec une croissance que nous estimons à 20% par rapport à 2019.
Pour assurer la livraison de vos colis pour les fêtes, La Poste déploie un dispositif renforcé grâce à un travail en étroite collaboration avec les compagnies aériennes et l’affrètement d’avions dédiés :
Les envois depuis et vers l’Outre-mer affranchis en tarif prioritaire Colissimo seront acheminés par avion. Néanmoins, malgré nos efforts, certains aléas pourraient allonger les délais d’acheminement (entre 5 et 10 jours – hors délais de dédouanement) et la capacité d’affréter des avions supplémentaires reste limitée.
Les envois Outre-mer en tarif économique ( ainsi que les Colissimo de plus de 20 kg au tarif prioritaire seront exclusivement assurés par voie maritime avec un renforcement du plan de transport habituel.
À noter : un délai de 20 à 25 jours est à prévoir pour les échanges avec les Antilles et la Guyane, et 40 jours pour La Réunion/Mayotte.
Pour bénéficier d’un transport aérien, et si cela est possible, nous vous suggérons de diviser votre envoi en plusieurs colis inférieurs à 20 kg.
Par ailleurs, nous vous rappelons la suspension de la prise en charge des colis volumineux (L>1m).
D’une manière générale, en cette période particulière, nous vous conseillons d’anticiper vos envois le plus possible.
Soyez assuré que nous mettons tout en place pour vous assurer le meilleur service possible et nous vous remercions de votre fidélité et de votre confiance.”

1 Like

Eeek sounds like I may already be too late for Oz!!

We’ve made the decision no cards this year, much as I love sending them. Talking to a friend in the UK I mentioned cards and she said “don’t send any”, which got me thinking. If they are concerned about receiving a potential formite then I don’t want to add to their anxiety. Also, sorting offices must be a potential source of super spreading - so if we can do our bit then so be it. For the charities, France has never been great with their choice of cards, so this is an opportunity to send the money straight to our favourites, which means they will get the full amount. And it also means I’ll start sending emails and catching up with people now, explaining what we are doing. Rather than just rushing out UNICEF cards at the last minute with only two lines in them because I’ve left it so late. And there’ll be a Jacquie Lawson card nearer the day.

As against potentially sending formites i know the cards I have sent recently have been appreciated by people at home alone. And if Christmas is cancelled this year then every more welcome. After all people who are concerned just leave their post for a few days before opening.

So do both, write an old fashioned letter and pop it inside a card- and send early!