Potatoes varieties

No, but you cannot buy them here. And you can’t bring them in either as pototo tubers are a controlled plant item.

I think that was true even before Brexit…which of course stopped any kind of seeds etc along with many other items. Though I’m discovering quite a few good EU based seed online sellers, just a challenge to learn the different varieties

I grew Artemis last year and they did very well. Extremely early and a follow-up second crop from the ones I missed which I am still harvesting now.

Ask a local maraîcher what to plant.

I grew Pink Fir Apple in the UK and that is also available here, but like the others I’ve had to go on a learning curce to find what is good and what isn’t. Apart from Charlotte, which we know form long ago and love as a reasonably general purpose potato despite being a salad variety, we’ve grown quite a number, chosen at random, but none have been really successful so far.

What’s Artemis like to use, @CaptainMorgan ? Is it a salad-type potato - a bit waxy?

I have a net of potatoes in my kitchen, we have already eaten several, they are excellent, the variety is jazzy and they are grown in France, in Bailleul.

Yes a bit waxy and need a good long boil. But they keep well. The ones I harvested early lasted until Christmas

My experience so far is that France has a terrific range of good waxy potatoes. I think people who want a really fluffy potato for roasting are probably struggling more as it seems to me that these are more popular in the UK that France?

Looking on a website that sells seed potatoes in France, they described such floury potatoes as “farineux” but only had one example…

Thread drift I am afraid. In potato growing I was always taught to rotate the area used to grow them, however when I see videos of Jersey Royal production they seem to use the same patch of field over and over, is that correct?

Bintje are about the best.

1 Like

I drive an Estima, wouldnt fancy trying to eat it, I’ll srick to sweet potatoes.

Chemicals!

Could be! I will stick to the old rotation method.

1 Like