Potatoes varieties

I’m finding it difficult to buy flowery main crop potatoes here (like King Edward, Estima, Pentland Dell or Pentland Squire potatoes), the only ones I can find seem to be Desiree or am I wrong?
There are lots and lots of excellent 1st and 2nd early waxy ones here, but wonder if anyone can recommend French or Dutch flowery main crop varieties? My local Magasin Vert has 30 varieties but no maincrop floury, which are better for certain (mash) dishes.
I would love to hear from serious vegetable gardeners…(so please no comments as to why can’t I just accept what is available here, as I don’t expect to get Brit varieties here!)

You should be able to find Bintje potatoes (maybe even in your local supermarket, chit them and then plant) they are a floury spud.

Or look out for Manon or Caesar.

We had the same thoughts on potato varieties. But back in Yorkshire on our allotment we grew Desiree very successfully. Gave them a try here in 86 Vienne, excellent crop, still using them and got 25kg to see us through. A great flowery potato for mash, fries, roasties and wedges etc I recommend getting the seed potatoes from your local garden centre. Bon courage

Desiree was our flowery one last year, and unfortunately Magasin Vert have a total monopoly here (22) for seeds (but not plants) other than Leclerc whose choice is v limited.

They can be bought on line

Just had two of last year’s crop of desirees as baked potatoes tonight. They are also good keepers.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. We’ll explore the suggestions, I love flowery potatoes.

Here you are John,

3 Likes

Thanks Wozza.

1 Like

ourya elcomewa :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I love Binjte too. They work for everything from mash, chips, gratin to fabulous roasties.
Izzy x

…just wonered if the keen gardeners of SF can suggest any any other varieties in addition to the suggested Binjte which i grew in 2022 Out local Magasin Vert stocked about 40 varietie last year but i struggled to identify other floury ones.

Desiré and Agata are floury enough for mash and roast potatoes and easily available.

1 Like

Is it potato season? What should one be doing now? Perhaps I should give growing them a go as I find the selection and quality disappointing for the past few years here.

No not yet! Only if you are pre-ordering exotic varieties from other countries.

1 Like

You cannot beat a King Edward’s still have a few seed potatoes from last year from a bag originally grown year after year 26 years ago

1 Like

Oh I so agree! :slight_smile:

A few months ago I bought a net of pots, a nice size for baked jackets, they were the tastiest I have ever had :yum: It was difficult to read the label, It looked like Allen, Allien does that ring any bells? I have not seen them since :frowning_face: Agata and Colomba (sp) are my go to usually.

Potatoes varities seem generally to be quite specifice to a country, and other than Dutch growers who grow for export, each country has their own individual varieties. Desirée and Charlotte being an exception and so it’s never been possible even when uk was in EU it wasn’t possible to get potatoes like King Edwards, Arran Pilot, Marris Piper etc here.
There are dozens available here, it just a matter of discovering the culivation and culinary characteristics of each variety. I’ll now try Agata alongside Desiréeand Charlotte and the ever popular Ratte for salads, and any other suggestions offered up.