Potimarrons

Having been given some saved seed for these and never having grown them before, they seem to be thriving well but I have a couple of questions to ask you expert veg gardeners

1. How do I know when they are ready to harvest? They are already the colour of some of the pictures on-line (sort of orange) but the taty looking versions in the local supermarket ar nearly red in colour. Do they vary?
  2. Once I’ve harvested them, does anyone have any personal recommendations for how to cook them. They are supposed to be delicious but I’m as ignorant about cooking them as I am about growing them :smiley:

Lovely, though not as good as butternut squash.

Potimarron soup

Lightly fry an onion in butter in a large saucepan

Skin potimarron and cut into cubes, throw into saucepan and fry until lightly brown (I sometimes take the onion out so it doesn’t burn while the squash is cooking)

Throw in some spices that you like - I like our soup to have quite a bite so I add grated fresh ginger, grated fresh turmeric, Bart’s berbere spice, cumin, coriander - push the squash aside so that the spices can dry fry for a few seconds on the bottom of the pan. Then mix the squash into the spices. Put back onion if you’ve taken it out.

I add a garlic clove that has been pushed through a press at this stage as I think it is so easy to over-fry garlic so it’s bitter.

Add 1-2 litres of stock - veg if you want it vegetarian, chicken if you want a bit more oompth.

Add salt.

Simmer for 20-30 minutes til the squash is very soft and breaking up.

Put through blender til very smooth.

Put back in pan to bring back to near boiling add large dollop of crème fraiche or (my preference) coconut cream and stir so it’s lovely and creamy.

Serve.

3 Likes

Thanks @SuePJ - your recipe sounds like something my partner would really go for!

1 Like

How are the leaves? If they are starting to wither then harvest time is here. - although in general I leave them as long as possible as I feel this means they store better.

I don’t peel potimarrons! One reason I like them so much.

My go to is

Chop potimarron up into chunks (and deseed!)

Put in roasting pan with some oil and spices of your choice

When cooked throw into a pot with veg stock and blend. If energetic fry some onion and garlic in pot first before adding potimarron and stock.

Check seasoning

Eat

2 Likes

Thanks @JaneJones ! The leaves are definitely withered so perhaps I can grab one to try. I’ve tended to roast other squash in the past in order to get better flavours so it does make sense. Will report back :smiley:

1 Like

I agree that the good thing about potimarron is that you don’t have to peel it. We fry an onion till soft, add garlic and ginger and fry for a minute, add vegetable stock then some chopped carrots, simmer for 20 minutes, then add the chopped potimarron and a chopped sweet potato, season with salt, pepper, turmeric, coriander and chilli, simmer till everything is soft, blend, and enjoy with soya cream on top and homemade bread.

2 Likes

That sounds interesting too so thanks @Rachman ! Looks like we may possibly now have some sweet potatoes for the first time so definitely worth a go…

This is the first time that someone has wanted to cook one of my concoctions. It makes me a bit nervous! Hope you like it.

1 Like

I’m sure we will!

1 Like

My husband is a great potimarron fan…we have harvested 30,this year. They keep really well in a dry place, harvest them when they are red rather than still orange, wipe clean before storing. They do not need to be peeled before cooking. Recipes…we use loads in soups, plenty of recipes on the net. But my favourite use is in cakes, better than courgettes as they are not too moist. Best cakes I make are ginger cake, and chocolate cake. This year I am going to experiment with potimarron chips…has anyone had any success with those?

1 Like