Pound Sterling thinking of self-identifying as Euro

Absoluky wonderful! Laughed right through the wheezing. Made my day! Thank you

2 Likes

4 Likes

Well put!

1 Like
3 Likes

Great post again Graham - Bastani must surely be one of the best ā€˜on the hoofā€™ analysts around now.
Particularly interesting on the UKā€™s failure to effectively replace the policy-making functions of the European Commission at the detail level of technical areas.

Itā€™s pretty well recognised by economists I think that the long period of relatively stable capitalism 1945-75 was made possible by the Keynesian settlement - in turn only possible in the aftermath of the World War and Holocaust - and the mini-stability of the late 90s and 00s was made possible by Chinaā€™s massive production of cheap consumer goods - and that outside these particular conditions capitalism has always been highly unstable (exploitation, slavery and colonialism, crisis, depression, fascism, war).

So this is not original to Bastani - but heā€™s right that many in the UK are at this moment fondly imagining that a Labour Government will quickly make everything ā€˜normalā€™ again - when in fact the instability the UK is experiencing now is the norm in Europe, and much of the world - except for the periods noted above. At least outside the EU it is - and the EU itself is precisely one of the Keynesian institutions that came out of the 1914-45 convulsion.

3 Likes

and hereā€™s an uncharacteristic rant from the normally mild mannered Professor Tim Wilsonā€¦

9 Likes

a better version perhapsā€¦

4 Likes

yams gotta watch this yam hasā€¦

1 Like

Took the advice of @graham a few days ago and got me a revolut account (yihaw !) for currency transfers from UK to France. Transfer from my bank to revolut was a few seconds, despite the guy on the phone saying ā€˜because this is a new recipient account, itā€™ll take a few hoursā€™. It appeared on my phone before he finished the sentence :+1: and no transfer fee :+1::+1:. The FX transaction within revolut was instant, and I managed to get very close to todays peak, getting 1.161. From there to French bank was also instant. It couldnā€™t have been easier. A good day overall :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Same here with Wise, grabbed the rate having been watching it throughout the day.

1 Like

Just for balance, what rate did you achieve after you paid the fee?
I got 1.1627 fee free from Revolut

Out of interest, did you get a French IBAN (assuming you are French resident)?

Iā€™ll check a bit later tonight.

I seem to have a Lithuanian IBAN, even though I signed up on the French site and am a French resident. At the moment, Iā€™m only using the free account as Iā€™ll only be doing one not that large transfer per year to France and that doesnā€™t justify paying the fee to upgrade to Premium. In the future, Iā€™ll probably upgrade.

1 Like

Hold on in there with the LT IBAN - thereā€™s an apparent delay issuing FR IBANs but they will get round to it.
The only significance really for most is that you will have to declare the account to the Fisc on cerfa 3916 each tax round.

1 Like

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear (as exclaimed by the King on meeting Truss last week)ā€¦

@Corona
Perhaps as the OP, you might like to rename your topic topic :thinking:

No many people know of or about Tufton Street and its significance (as outlined in the above video) so here is a brief descriptive video about it.

1 Like

Talk of Johnson returning as PM having the predicted effects on the Ā£