Poutine - dish

Just saw a programme about Poutine, which seems to be a Canadian dish. Chips, covered with thick brown onion sauce and sprinkled with cheese.

It looked as delicious as it is unhealthy.

Anyone tried it?

nope… but we did have onion gravy on slices of white bread… delicious :yum:
o you have the recipe for Poutine?

I knew a Canadian woman who adored it as her national dish. It went on the list of the most disgusting things I’ve eaten. Might as well have tucked into a bowl of warm fat.

Make a bowl of greasy and soggy chip like objects, pour over a nasty greasy cheesy sauce and then cover with even nasty sweet/sour brown sauce with too much sugar.

just reread your comment… thought at first it read “warm rat”
(next ophthalmology appt due soon…) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Not far off perhaps in taste, but vegetarian supposedly.

1 Like

It is one of the ‘in’ things in the U.K., or at least was, places like Shoreditch, Manchester, Edinburgh, Brighton, anywhere that the cool young people hang out, saw an explosion of poutine places opening just like they did Belgian fries places a decade ago. My Canadian friends all consider it as their version of a good roast perhaps for brits; the comfort food that they need when they’re homesick or need cheering up.

I have a Canadian friend who blames poutine for the size of her thighs. :stuck_out_tongue: Never tried it personally.

OTOH tourtierre is okay - like a sort of meat pasty covered in maple syrup.

I’d forgotten that - popped over to see S-D in march and went to eat in Hoxton. Her partner had it, and still didn’t look like anything I would want to eat.

It’s not just ‘a nasty greasy cheesy sauce’, it’s ‘a nasty greasy Canadian cheesy sauce’. It’s nearly impossible to find a decent cheese in North America, even fewer made from lait cru.

I’ve had some great meals in Canada, but now I come to think of it, mainly in S American, Maghreb, Levant or Asian restos.

1 Like

There were a few places offering it in Edinburgh in May when I was there

Looks like chips and gravy, with the addition of cheese (and fashionableness).

Here’s a recipe: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/how-to-make-poutine

I suppose it’s a matter of taste. I used to eat a lot of chips and gravy.

If you’re used to eating chips with gravy, eating poutine is a walk in the park (you’ll probably need a long energetic one afterwards to burn off all those calories).

It is delicious, forget the naysayers !

It isn’t supposed to be made with just any cheese though, cheese curd morsels from my limited experience of eating it in Canada.

Allegedly from Québec, but disputed (inevitably), as to where it originated precisely. It is fairly common in (fast) food restaurants in Newfoundland, and I managed to scoff a sizeable portion when I was last in Toronto, washed down with a pint of not too bad a beer (and I’m no North American beer fan).

1 Like

Did they dip it in batter then deep fry it, :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Sounds about as tasty as Canadian cheese.
Edit: @DrMarkH has it about right. Canadian Cheese ???

Now, there you go. Canadian beer :beer: is actually not too bad. The cheese …,. ****ing awful.

It’s one of our ‘Friday’ night menu options during the winter and is absolutely bloody delicious !

I started making it after seeing it on a TV show and yes, probably not something to eat on a daily basis but with good quality ingredients, it is seriously good!

2 Likes

Don’t need or want poutine…sorry!

I’m a lazy cook and I like brussel sprouts, runner beans as well, although I don’t see runner beans on sale anywhere. For me a bowl of brussel sprouts, or runner beans, coated with butter with grated cheddar cheese on top and on top of those one or two fried eggs! Luverly grub!

1 Like

I like poutine, we spent a few years in Toronto and found Canadian food a lovely addition to our other ‘around the world’ favourites. Btw it is not a brown onion cheese sauce.
Feshly fried pommes frites with a brown meat gravy and a sprinkle of cheese curds - what is not to like.
A bloody mary made with clamato juice instead of boring old tomato,
Maple syrup - the real stuff. Totally versatile, but best in a maple walnut ice cream.

Poutine - think I’d be avoiding that like the plague - with all the glorious food choices and recipes out there, why on earth would anyone subject their body to that :scream: A beige carb bomb with next to no nutritional value.

I wasn’t sold on it at all until you said this.

5 Likes