Preparing for winter 2022 - Help + Health

Not of interest to Cat.

I

Not all of us :slightly_smiling_face: I think the problem in this part of the world is that lots of people see fresh vegetables as representing backbreaking work and not something delicious and as a result frozen stuff seems labour saving and modern.

Labour saving but tastes totally different to fresh veges.

Yes I completely agree - they also love tinned and jarred vegetables but I don’t like them at all. Those peas with carrots in jars, ugh.

1 Like

Shiba, I have never looked for or noticed the compressed logs, can you post a link please?
Is a Jotul burner any different to any other log burner?
300 euros seems quite cheap for the winter months!
@Corona I cannot find a log supplier, that is my problem.

this topic explores compressed logs

These images aer from March 2022 -

The prices may well have gone up significantly since, of course - I saw on French TV this morning that pellets have massively increased in price too of late.

1 Like

Really? Mines too far, he only delivers here in village sadly as he’s great.

Seems hugely expensive!

https://www.pagesjaunes.fr/annuaire/saint-astier-24/livraison-bois-de-chauffage

1 Like

nothing better in winter than a pot of minestrone made with celeriac, carrotts, leaks, mushrooms
and a good chicken stock, smoked bacon and little butter beans. That is getting ready for winter.

Most of the “restaurants” I go in have clearly just opened a tin of haricot verre.

That is so typical
So awful in taste and appearance,
But a good restaurant only uses fresh ingredients,
So few good restaurants,

2 Likes

I’d love the full recipe for this please Jane, ( bet I’m not the only one!),it sounds perfect for autumn.

French regulations are very different from the UK ones, it can be surprising that things that are seen as straightforward require a lot of administrative steps. For example having registered a business it might not occur to a British person that this only allows the specific activity that you registered.

It is not as simple as just finding out how to declare the income. And penalties here are severe for issues surrounding work.

Personally it seems potentially frustrating to propose ideas to people before checking they realise the complexities of implementing them.

Debby do you want my recipe or Janes?
I can offer mine in the morning.

Simplyfeu and brazeco bois (?) Are the two national delivery companies. Around 400 on a pallet at the moment. There are a few scam sites - if it needs a bank transfer it’s a scam.

It’s worth buying a week’s worth from a brico and seeing if you like them. There are variables. The publicity claims are a bit OTT - but they’re convenient and easy to store - I reckon pretty much equivalent to logs on price over a winter. But we use a mix of these and the free wood off the property so it’s hard to be sure how they work for everyone. Large fires seem to eat them.

1 Like

Are you sure you want ‘leaks’ in your soup pan?

Well fix it…

Oops, sorry Barbara, I meant yours please!, my brains not keeping pace today so mixed up names :face_with_raised_eyebrow: