Prescription for glasses after cataract surgery and lazer surgery

I do feel sorry for you but think the double checking may just be causing even more confusion because the terms used on either side of the channel may not be the same, the measurements may not be expressed in the same units etc etc.

I am sorry to bang on but if you tell the doctor you have questions and that you want answers, you won’t be chucked out, you will get the information. Take someone with you to translate if need be. Getting hold of an assistant(e) social(e) via the Mairie may help but it depends on how efficient your French is.

While many French doctors speak a bit of English, there is absolutely no reason for them to be proficient, especially in the sticks, and often they won’t risk speaking the foreign language in case they get it wrong. Do you know many British doctors who are sufficiently fluent in eg French or German or whatever to speak to patients?

4 Likes

There’s ophthalmic surgery on offer in Saint Brieuc, is that easier to get to for you?

Hi Just picked up on your email - have you any names please. As for travel a little easier ie a taxi to Loudeac and bus from Loudeac to St Brieuc and then ??? what is the name of the hospital??

Rosemary

Hello Rosemary, I used google - maybe your GP could recommend an actual ophtalmo, I am not in your area so my suggestion is based purely on looking online.

I don’t know any of them, obviously.

My current GP is new to Brittany so names will mean nothing to him and my last GP recommended someone from personal experience and I was very disappointed and my friend had a similar experieince from another doctor and her son also had the same!

Vero and others have tried to help you. I will too… stop making excuses, you’ve had good advice, get up and do something about it.
Next time you post let’s hope it’s good news and positive.
Sorry to be blunt but replying to Véronique after 26 days only to knock her down is not "on " IMO.
However, I do hope you get things sorted.

1 Like

I could not reply earlier as my ceiiing came down and rain came through the ceiling and then through floorboards etc 4 weeks ago and had to sort that out and sort out the mess, move furniture, keep a check on the electrics that were effected, find a roofer, contact my Insurance company etc etc and being Registered as Disabled etc it was not easy. The Insurance comes over tomorrow evening.
I am pleased to hear your advice from everyone - but I would not write and make excuses if I had not looked into it first. Not so easy on your own and do not drive etc!

Hi Rosemary…

Hopefully, your first call was to your Insurance company… ???

I’d be interested to hear how they supported you (or not) …

Indeed it was AND no joy over the weekend and then 3 calls a day for the last 24 days - the Assessor at long last comes this Friday evening at 1700. I have told the agent (has not made an appearance) that I need an English speaker as I want to ensure she we understand one another. I was recommended a roofer and he came over on Monday to temporary plug the ingress of water as I was surrounded by buckets et - the water came through the roof, through the ceiling which was made of the old fashioned way and it looked like Weetabix - it was horrible and messy as it came down onto my desk computer etc - not this one and seeped through the carpet tiles that was over the floor and could see damp patches etc in my kitchen below The roofer gave me his devi for his workmanship. I now have to wait until the Assessor comes to go forward to have the ceiling replastered or plasterboard when it is totally dry, replace the loft insulation, ceiling lights have to be checked and power points where the water steadily dripped on them. This OAP does not need this problem but I am dealing with it the best way I can. Eye problems etc are on the back burner. It does not rain but pours!!!

And my very best wishes and sympathies are with you Rosemary! There can be very few situations worse in winter than leaks in the roof/ceiling or indeed any other unstoppable ingress of water.

I do hope the situation is remedied without delay, and that you have somewhere warm and dry as a refuge away from the nightmare and the damp.

Please keep us up to date with progress so you don’t feel abandoned to suffer in silence, and keep your doughty chin up! :hugs: