Prime à la conversion/casse

I read about a month ago the chip shortage has actually eased and production should return to normal soon.

Why do I think this kind of whining by an industry that in Europe had begun to not do so well as beaten by cheaper foreign competition, is kinda convenient as an attempt to improve their fortunes by pushing unit price up for the consumer? So they can try to make old levels of revenues by selling less?

We progress in tiny steps. So having decided on an electric car, and being close to choosing one (rdv booked to try one next week) we need to get organised about charging it. The nearest charging point is 40km away so will have ro have one here.

As we know getting a devis can be a slow and frustrating process. So was completely delighted to phone a company who said their engineer would video call back on WhatsApp. Which he did at the hour promised, and I walked round showing him on screen the Linky, the fuse box and where the car would be. Devis done!

What a truly brilliant idea!

1 Like

In the UK some of the manufacturers do a deal to supply a charger at a discount, wonder if that is the same in France

30% crédit impôt…up to €300.

There were other deals but with the shortage of cars to buy they all seem to have stopped as no need to entice the punters!

The price we have just been quoted it horrific!

As Jonathan stated, special licence to install so money making all round. Thats what really pisses me off with green tech, the rip off prices having things done costs. Same bloody wires!

That sounds like great service. However, you may find that you don’t have need for Mode 3 charging (7kW mono or 22kW triphasé) at home at all. Depending on your driving habits you may find that using a Mode 2 charger (i.e. the low power unit that is supplied with the car, pulling around 2,3kW) will be more than adequate. Such an item uses a standard socket, although I’d recommend fitting a dedicated one conveniently placed for your parking area (do not use extension cables!).

What’s the problem with extension cable… ??

I notice a neighbour with a Citrœn Ami just sits the little car outside his gate and runs a cable from the house, plugging it into the appropriate bit on the car… as and when he needs to.

If this means we’re all likely to go up in smoke… please tell me… :roll_eyes:

The usual problem with people using extension cables for higher power use is they dont unwind the cable from the drum completely so the cable generates heat and then can catch fire.

cheers.
I’ll try and see if he’s completely unwound it, next time… :wink:

OK, to give you the long version…

Essentially, people don’t always have the electrical savvy to know whether an extension cable is suitable for the task they are using it for, or how to use it correctly. It’s therefore easier to tell people not to use extension leads.

Reasons not to use an extension cable are;

1. Some extension cables use undersize conductors which could start to run hot under a 2,3kW load, especially as charging may take several hours.
  2. Cheap cables with moulded connectors can have less than optimal connections inside &, again, can run hot/melt under load.
  3. It’s too easy for an uninformed person to not completely unwind a drum mounted cable. A cable left wound on a drum will overheat very quickly under load & melting or fire ensues.
  4. Even non-drum mounted cables can be left in a simple coil, with the same consequence of 3. above.
  5. Not everyone is careful when laying out extension cables i.e. trip hazards can be easily created, especially when using cheap PVC cables.

If you absolutely have to use an extension cable for any item that draws a decent load, especially for long periods (e.g. EV charging), then follow this advice…

1. Use cable with conductors of at least 1,5mm² cross section. Decent cable will have this marked on the outside sheath. Ideally use 2,5mm², especially for long runs.
  2. Use good quality rubber cable as this is actually tougher than PVC & lies flatter, reducing trip hazards.
  3. Use decent quality connectors & inpsect them regularly.
  4. Always unwind/uncoil a cable fully when in use. To keep things neat you can coil any surplus on the ground in a figure 8 as this will break the magnetic fields that a simple coil would generate & it will not overheat.

Finally, I must stress that it’s best to have a dedicated (& good quality) socket for charging your EV. If that can be installed without the need to then use an extension cable to plug in the car charger that is clearly the best option. Level 1 chargers are usually provided with 5 or 6 metres of cable attached, but longer ones can be found.

1 Like

Very helpful explanation… But of course also raises more questions! You mention a level 1 charger and I think the info on the car we are thinking about says level 2 charger.what’ the difference?

The car will presumably come with something you can plug into a socket, but everything I’ve read says that you should only use a domestic socket as a last resort. Since we don’t drive everyday charging time is not really a huge problem. So it strikes me that perhaps they just say that to get you to buy a borne, but there really may not be a need at all?

This is our plug in the barn… could we just plug the car into that?

In simple terms;

Mode 2 = AC charging from a standard domestic outlet. Limited to 3,6kW, usually only 2,3kW (10A). The charge controller (like a rubber brick mounted in the cable) will plug into a normal outlet, but in Europe will plug into the vehicle via (confusingly) a Type 2 connector (picture below). The actual AC charger/inverter is built into the vehicle (so it’s specification will determine the maximum charging capability).

Mode 3 = AC charging 7kW or above depending on whether your vehicle has mono or triphasé capability &/or whether you have a mono or tri electrical supply. This requires a professionally installed charge controller & the vehicle plugs in via a Type 2 cable (connector picture above).

Mode 4 = DC rapid charging, usually 50kW or above. Not an option for domestic installations, but will be found at major destinations & service areas. These use either CCS connectors (centre of pic below) or Chademo (on left of picture below). Type 2 plug is on the right.

If you have a vehicle with CCS you only have one inlet as CCS combines Type 2 within it’s format.

Regarding your own socket; it looks modern & in good nick, so is probably OK, but ideally should be on it’s own independent supply &, even more ideally, to be on it’s own différentiel. If in doubt get it checked by competent person.

how much does a level 2 outlet cost?

Depends on type, basic charging point or some3like a zappi smart charger which can switch between grid and solar panels if you have them.
No idea in France just pointing out there are different ones available.

This explains and gives average price of 870€, but might also need to count in replacing fusebox if no space and other cabling. There is credit impôt of up to 30% or 300€, but I have not found a supplier round here offering a free borne as it seems to be a sellers market.

But from trying to get a devis, 870€ seems conservative as the actual boxes are expensive

You are truly wonderful, thank you!

1 Like

A decent Mode 3 charge controller is around 800-1000€, then you have mains cabling, additions & alterations to your main tableau, plus labour…
Clearly you only get an accurate figure by getting a proper devis, but I’d reckon to budget around 1500€ in a relatively straight forward domestic setting. A triphasé version is going to be more.
For this reason I urge people to consider whether they do really need Level 2 charging at home. As well as installation costs you may also have to increase your “puissance souscrit” with your electricity supplier in order to avoid embarrassing blackouts.

And increasing you puissance increases the cost of your abonnement! Saving the planet doesn’t come cheap…:slightly_frowning_face:

We happen to have 18k wotsits (monophase) as have two heat pumps. And can never change suppliers or alter this as you can no longer get 18k. But we don’t use it all, so charging a car as well is fine happily.

Still debating with ourselves (despite managing to get several hundred knocked off the devis). I think the decider is whether having a 7kw borne might be a useful selling point for the gîte in future…

Daft French idea.

2 Likes

It’s designed to encourage you to manage your consumption rather than just increase the supply. Also, in this area, to increase the kwH, you might well need to change the input supply cables in order to be rated adequate for the power…

There are (or certainly were) smart management devices that will move the supply from one device to another if the demand gets too high…