Prime à la conversion/casse

totally agree with you.
Around 1975 we had solar panels on our roof in UK… just for hot water in those days.
We were the first in our area and it worked wonderfully… a great advert for this “new idea…”

Coming to France, we were amazed/shocked to see so little use being made of the technology. Let’s face it France has much more sun than UK.

3 Likes

The number of times I have been stuck on a ferry behind a broken down petrol/diesel car!!

No doubt in time there will be charging stations on ferries too…

1 Like

And what will the ferry be powered by?
Perhaps an enormous battery in tow?
Putting cars to one side I wonder how other transport in the world will be powered in the future?

Heavens John, where have you been?

1 Like

Not just hydrogen but also ammonia.
Nasty dirty stuff hydrogen.
https://cen.acs.org/business/petrochemicals/ammonia-fuel-future/99/i8

Its difficult to go back to the early arguments put forward by people who haven’t been keeping informed on the development. Also plans have been put into place for grids to be able to power. Interesting lecture by the chap that runs the national grid on this very subject they are ready. The vehicle to grid system will drastically lower the spikes we have currently and huge battery storage is also planned.
Why anyone would want to continue polution is beyond me.

So is electricity production at the moment :face_with_raised_eyebrow: world wide production, you can’t pick and choose which parts of the world to suit your argument.
Just out of interest which electric car do you have ?

I was blessed with the gift of foresight, easy to plan the journey. The bank of chargers at the Eurotunnel is just one example the transition is happening reasonably quickly but needs to go a bit quicker.

Blessed with forethought sure you are, many events can happen on the way anywhere no amount of planning can legislate for other drivers using the only working “pump” .

As you’re hinting @flocreen , it seems with EV’s operating on the basis of “s*d’s law the first 5 public chargers I try will be unavailable when I need them” would be a good idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not paying attention it seems :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The apps are good as users update information on non working chargers, one company in the UK are notoriously not repairing theirs. They will surely be gone from the scene soon where others are building huge numbers of chargers compared to last year, the situation is improving but I am weary of the slow charger numbers influencing the overall picture.
Most people for most journeys will be charging at home. New build companies are having to include chargers in the plans but will there be people blocking chargers hours after they have topped up, yes because some are selfish pigs. Tesla now charge people who overstay

@DeTolkTW I think I do need help! Or at least reassurance…

We are due to pick up new (well second hand demo) EV car on Friday and leave behind our dearly beloved and perfectly sound old banger to be destroyed :slightly_frowning_face:. And we are a bit nervous as the garage we’re buying the car doesn’t knock 2.5k prime à la conversion off the price but says that we pay the full price and then apply for the prime. The bon de commande says that they are buying our old car for 1€.

So is there a risk that we hand over our old car for 1€ and never get anything back?

And what paperwork must they give us to help this process. I have printed out the certificate non gage, but presumably need something from the garage?

Depends who you talk to - most charging is done overnight when other demand is low - obviously that presents a challenge for solar (but there are technologies to deal with that) but other renewable sources such as wind and wave do not turn off when the sun goes down, neither does nuclear but that has its own problems.

Most people do not need a full charge overnight, my commute is ~ 38 miles, so I’d need about 12kWh each night (although it’s easier on the battery if you wait until you have 20% charge, then top up to 80%) - the equivalent of a two bar electric fire being on for 6 hours.

I wonder how soon the first murder will be, over a chargeing point.

Jane, I’ve worked my way down this link…

Yes, so did I. Plus several other sites. Which is why I need reassurance as nowhere does it provide info about being sure the prime will be granted. And when you start the tele-service it is way more complicated than the first link suggest!

gosh that is a worry… and I would not be prepared to take the risk, due to the state of my bank balance.

Truly, I’m sure I recall correctly, that friends bought an electric vehicle (maybe hybrid), changing in their old car, and ended up actually paying very little over to the Supplier… but that was before covid ie 2 years ago… so perhaps things have changed.

@JaneJones
Are you certain your Supplier won’t budge… but insists it’s you who has to apply.

Might be worth checking other Suppliers… (sorry if you’ve already gone through all this)

NB ““However, note that since July 1, 2021, you can no longer benefit from the conversion bonus for the scrapping of a diesel vehicle.””

There are already Jane. We charged our hybrid on the ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg two weeks ago (it was free :slightly_smiling_face:).

I’m looking at installing a charger for when I move from hybrid to full electric, and being a “if it is worth doing, do it well” sort of bloke I thought a 22KW bolted on to my three phase was the way to go. A pal of mine, a long Tesla enthusiast (he got Bono to buy one) pointed out to me that I don’t need 100% (ie 300 miles) charge every night. I just need, like you, maybe 60/70 kms worth. So an inexpensive 8KW charger it is for me then. When I plan a longer trip I’ll just leave the car hooked up for 24 instead of 8 hours.

1 Like