Prof liberale and AE

Hi everyone, I work as a tour guide and am a registered AE, prof liberale so pay charges on my CA. Sometimes the day I provide includes lunch or a hire car, does anyone know if I could declare this as supply of goods as you can in the certain other industries.

I don't really want to ask the clients to pay direct as I am offering a complete days service.

Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Hi Tracy,

I hope you've got an answer for this one by this time but if not, I know I found it very helpful talking to my local Chambre of Commerce and Indsutry. I own a company, one of the decision pushing me to do so was the question of expenses and refunds (as well as emplying someone).

Good luck!

Hi, thanks Emma, I know all those bits as I have been AE for a couple of years now and my husband is a carpenter under the scheme.

I don't think I phrased the question properly. In the building trade my husband declares his labour and materials separately, so he pays 20 whatever on his labour but only 10 percent on the materials that he is supplying. I was wondering if a hire car or a restaurant bill could be declared as supplying goods in the same way?

As far as I'm aware, though I could be wrong (and I hope I am because then I can get a new laptop for work!) you can't claim back expenses for AE work. What you are paid is what you declare, no matter what you have spent, which is why it is a 'simplified' business model. So as far as I can see, you'd have to cover the costs yourself and pay tax on them. Not very fair, but there you go. You'd need to change to a more complicated fiscal regime if you have high overheads and want to claim parts of it back. Unfortunately, with that comes a whole host of other issues.

Builders who have expensive overheads and material costs, for example, might ask the client to provide materials themselves, as it is not tax deductible as it is in the UK. Otherwise, they will be paid and taxed at almost 20% on their gross earnings, which means they are paying tax on what they have bought.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has a different take on it. I've read the AE stuff backwards and have been AE for a couple of years, but as far as I'm aware, that's why it's a 'régime simplifiée' and why it's so easy on the paperwork, because it's not very friendly, if you have complicated financial operations. PL are also for people whose asset is themselves and don't need as much by way of equipment, otherwise other business models would be more suitable.