Property division

Hi I’m new to this site so please bear with me.
We bought a property in the Vaucluse division 3 years ago. It was a refurbishment job. It’s on a big plot one main house and 3 out houses.
We have refurbished the main house ( it wasn’t easy but it’s done now thank god) and we want to divide the plot and sell the 2/3 of it.
But the notary has advised us we don’t have permission to divide the property as it’s situated on farming area.
Can I ask if anyone else has come across this? If yes what is the best way to deal with it?
Thanks for your advice in advance.


Mitra Azirani

Hello Mitra… and welcome

Please put your full name… that is one of the Terms and Conditions… if you are not sure how to amend your Registration… simply put your full name on this thread and I will amend it for you…


Notaires are the experts on property issues. Any kind of property transaction has to go through a notaire.
In theory, if you could get your plot of land re-designated, that would change the situation. Whether this is even a possibility, would depend on the nature of the land and its situation. Your notaire is the best person to advise on this.
If you don’t believe what he says, ask another one and see if you get the same answer.
However you do need to be prepared to accept that France is a highly regulated country and some things that wouldn’t be a problem in other countries, are not possible here. That’s why it’s important to find out whether what you are planning to do is possible, before you start on it.


If you are thinking of selling the out-houses as “habitation”… you will need to get their designation changed. Speak at the Mairie. They have all the necessary Forms for this and will be able to tell you whether or not it is feasible.

On the other hand… if you are simply selling the out-houses as “out-houses/barns/shed” call them what you will… simply as buildings for storage… your route of action will depend on which parcels those out-houses are built on.

Again… discuss at the Mairie… they will be able to identify the different parcels you own.

If the out-houses are not on the same parcel as your main property, it should be easy to sell them… again the Mairie will be able to identify what can and cannot be done.

If they ARE on the same parcel as your house… you will have to apply to have the parcel divided… again, that is quite straight forward… I have done it myself in the past. However, it is not cheap.

If there is associated land with the 2/3rds you are selling off, it might well be that he is referring to the fact that SAFER might need to be offered the land/property first before going to the open market.
This will impose a delay of potentially some months whilst a decision is made.
It may be lost in translation but before any splitting up of a parcel of land can be contemplated, you would probably need the services of a land measurement specialist «Geometre» (not cheap!).
This link explains more of the process.

There will also (probably) be some capital gains tax to pay… unless the property we are discussing dividing… is your full-time residence… CGT etc can come as a nasty shock… so do your homework… :thinking:


I’ve added my surname to my post.

Thanks and Regards


Cheers Mitra… I’ve amended your Registration.

Mitra… what do you think of the replies to your Thread ??

Helpful thanks but It’s more complicated
and I rather not to put it on the platform.

How can email someone?

Thanks and Regards


I’ve sent you a Private Message

Mitra… you are on the open forum… is this OK ??

Thanks it’s deleted

I’ve sent you a Private Message… not here on the open forum… !

If you cannot read that message, please let me know here on the forum and I will get it sorted …

Dear Stella

I hope you’ve had a fantastic start to 2019.

We were in contact towards the end of the last year and you kindly responded to my questions. We are still trying to divide our property but we have been given mixed advise. What my husband and I are confused about, who agrees and gives permission to split of the Property?

I really appreciate your time.