Prostate Cancer - Ignoring It Won't Beat It

So true Stella and great advice. As a reminder - I was 53, no symptoms, no problems, never felt ill and, as it turned out, 80% of my prostate had cancerous cells in it.

It’s a no brainer boys - get your PSA blood test sorted. A high reading does not always mean cancer - don’t be shy, it’s just a little prick (!) and takes about 10 seconds - may save your life!! :slight_smile: Available on a high street near you - just swipe that Carte Vitale !!

3 Likes

As any of you that have followed this thread will know, I aim to encourage as many men as possible to have a PSA test. My view being it’s YOUR life, not your GP or MT’s ! To this end I’m a huge supporter of both Prostate Cancer UK and, in France ANAMACaP.

You’ll also be thrilled (!) to read that I’m one of the ‘Poster Boys’ for the Kegel8 For Men and was interviewed by them for their blog. In addition, I’ve recently been interviewed by Carenity UK - a great international, multilingual resource for people living with chronic conditions. Here’s the link to their home page : Carenity UK Homepage. You may need to sign up to access my interview / blog.

Anyway boys - this discussion has had over 6,500 views and it makes me wonder how many of you out there have taken a PSA test as a reult?? Come on - don’t be shy… :wink: :wink:

Prostate Cancer - Ignoring It Won’t Beat It

1 Like

The results just came in online - cancer free for 2 years post-op and the relief is beyond words - happy boy :slight_smile:

I hate PSA test day - no matter how hard I try, the anxiety and stress for the few days leading up to it are hellish. I can hardly bear to click on the ‘open results’ button on the Bio-Doc website. I think I may try hypnosis in future as it’s going to be part of my life… forever!! But hey - at least I’m still here!

This thread has had nearly 7000 views and I’d love to think that it has prompted some of you guys out there to take a PSA test - has it? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Best Wishes S’

1 Like

So pleased for you Simon… and I too hope we have persuaded some lads to be brave… :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks Stella! I really hope we have too but…us lads can be pretty wimpy about getting our bits checked out!?? Heck knows why - it really is no big deal in the great scheme of things.

PSA testing saves lives - simple.

1 Like

Brilliant news Simon. Very pleased for you. :+1:

1 Like

That’s brilliant Simon…I sooooo empathise with having to wait for results…my eldest daughter has been in hospital today for another op…I sit here cross legged at what she’s been going through for the last 3 years…every time our whole family is on a knife edge waiting for the results of her various biopsies…this time her consultant is really positive and although we still have to wait for results in the post her consultant is feeling confident that maybe this time she’s eradicated it…(I’ll not go into the gory details about vulva cancer on your thread but suffice to say that my daughter has been through a hellish 3 years and us along with her…no all clear yet but hopefully that day is coming for her…) :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks very much Mandy & Helen - support is always, always appreciated. I’m only too aware how cancer, any cancer, affects those close to the ‘patient’ but, without them I think I’d go nuts!

One of the amazing things about medical services in France is the ability to walk into a blood testing centre on your local high street and receive your results the same day. It goes such a long way to reducing the amount of worry time!

Best of luck with your daughter Helen although it sounds like she’s a hell of a fighter!

4 Likes

Had my annual test last week and the PSA is steady at 0.6. hasn’t shifted much over the past ten years.

1 Like

although PSA test is said to be not very effective as many things can elevate it. even its inventor refers to it as a “coin toss”

Due to have a full health check up soon and they won’t include PSA as its not effective. while 1 in 7 men suffer at some stage in life only a minute number actually get proper prostate cancer. Not that i’m taking any risks i being in that minority without getting tested.

PSA testing is all we have Harry. Sure it’s an indicator that may or may not point towards prostate cancer. However 1 in 8 men will be diagnosed with pc. In the UK one man dies every 45 mins from pc and, in France, it is the biggest cancer killer amongst men - with more cases of pc being diagnosed annually than breast cancer in women. The stats and their sources are discussed earlier in this thread. By no stretch of the imagination is it a ‘minute’ number of men - it’s huge.

PSA testing from age 50 saved my life at 53. It indicated I may have had a problem requiring further investigation and confirmation. I had no symptoms, no problems, no issues whatsoever and yet, by the time of my op, 80% of my prostate was cancerous. Luckily for me it was confined to the gland itself although my PSA level will be tested every 6 months for the rest of my life.

It’s your life and entirely your decision - not the docs or anyone elses - yours.

oh they are doing it but its been pointed out that its not effective. They wanted to do a DRE, then maybe the docs a bit kinky hence recommending it over the PSA…

Unfortunately unless absolutely necessary no ones putting a finger in my bum hole

I have zero warning signs though so im not stressing.

I thought it was just a blood test…

1 Like

You could always have a french branch of March for men, or even a virtual one?

1 Like

PSA is DRE is a finger up your bum top physically check your prostate. Unfortunately the PSA is only given to old people. I will be having it though, just means I may have to pay for it out of my own pocket, then again wats a few quid for peace of mind.

This is quite a confortable way of looking at things (me first) but doesn’t work on long terms …

Harry - I’m not going to argue with you about the effectiveness of PSA testing as it saved my life. Please take a look at the Prostate Cancer UK website for more current info or ANAMACAP France.

A DRE (digital rectum examination) is not really something to joke about. It is not used instead of a PSA test - it’s generally performed as part of the initial investigations following a high PSA reading. It’s a simple one minute procedure. Believe me - joining the pc club entails loosing any bashfulness you may have !!!

As for the warning signs - as already stated I had none. Lots of men diagnosed with pc don’t.

I’ve stressed loads waiting for the results of PSA tests, MRI’s, bone and organ scans, biopsies etc - pointless I know but I’ve never pretended I’m not scared stiff.

Harry please be careful - that is simply not correct. A PSA test is a blood test and a DRE is a Digital Rectal Examination. Perhaps it would be a good idea to read this thread from the beginning. It’s important the correct information is given.

The PSA test is NOT only given to old people - I was only 50 when I began testing - added to my annual full bloods by my brilliant MT. It’s provided free of charge by the Assurance Maladie. More and more men below the age of 50 are being diagnosed with prostate cancer as a result of effective testing of high risk groups.

A digital rectal examination (or exam) is used to see if you might have a prostate problem or prostate cancer. It involves your doctor or nurse feeling your prostate through the wall of the back passage (rectum).

maybe read what I was responding to before jumping the gun and please do point out how else a DRE is carried out if not a finger up the rectal passage as a nurse of many years id be interested to find out how a prostate is checked other than this.

The doctor told me the PSA is only offered to older people (old people your own bloody words) I have specifically asked for the PSA and have bee told I may have to pay for that specific blood test.

end of me quoting myself.