Prostate Cancer Testing 2024

I’ve just looked at the video and it is dated 12th January 2024

1 Like

If its not too personal, how does that go, all levels good or do you lack certain things?

Our MT retired in December and we have registered with a new one although our first appointment was with a doctor who works under the new MT and actual registration has to be done by naned MT. This will hapoen next month when we have had, for me 14 and my wife 13 vlood tests. I have just checked the prescription and the extra one for me is the PSA test so happy with that. Hopefully all will be well. With reference to @David_Spardo comment, my boots don’t get wet and I could douse a campfire at 1 metre distance.

Thank you for sharing on that last detail.
:slight_smile:

I have just been reading a report of international prostate cancer conference held in Paris last week, and it seems that recommendations on testing may well change as the techniques improve to rule out the problems with testing.

2 Likes

No problems with anything. I’m boringly normal.

1 Like

Glad to hear it, there is often comments that vegans lack this or that but often its just noise, good to hear from someone without the bias.

Good to hear, I listened to a podcast that some new techniques were under test as PSA is unreliable.

You’re lucky I didn’t share the technique of being able to do so. :wink:

Over 50, and if you happen to drop off your GP’s radar, the French health service will send you yearly reminders to get a test done.

and 74+'s who automatically exit the yearly mailshot (considered too old)… can ask their MT for a kit… :+1:

1 Like

I wouldn’t knock the UK GP’s advice so quickly as this is a complex subject that we inevitably distil down to basics for discussion and comprehension, but like most things medical, it is far from straightforward.

Some years ago I took part in a lengthy exercise with clinicians from around the globe (I was one of a few non-experts invited to provide a sanity check) which was conducted by Cochrane on behalf of the BMJ. For those knowledgeable about medical research, Cochrane is regarded as the gold standard for evidence.

The output of this was a “Rapid Recs” report - an overview of the science and recommendations aimed at GPs to give them informed advice on how to manage the diagnostic journey for prostate cancer. As you can see from the attached, there is a mild discouragement towards recommending PSA tests in the absence of other flags and there was a consensus on this among all the participants.

I was invited due to other links with Cochrane and not because I was a patient for this condition, alhough with a father and a brother both prostate cancer survivors I have a slightly elevated risk of having it and I thus had a personal interest in the work. Like many people my age (now almost 70) I have to visit the loo once or twice most nights (but I refuse to moderate my liquid intake, in part because of past issues with gout). I had a physical examination by my GP not long before this exercise and was given the OK so it was (and is still) something I was monitoring but not overly concerned about.

And, for what it’s worth, my nocturnal visits have not increased but for peace of mind I did have a PSA test here in France a few months back (first time for me) which proved negative.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise that flatulence acted as a relaxant. But I was aware of its potential as an anaesthetic on others in extreme cases. :rofl: (JOKE…)

2 Likes

Fortunately it wasn’t a fart - Google tells me that the stuff the surgeons and nurses referred to as “gas and air” is called Entonox and is a 50/50 mix of nitrous oxide and oxygen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for bringing an alternative viewpoint with supporting data.

Something I read about at least a couple of decades ago that can help with prostate issues is prostate massage. A quick google confirms that this is still ‘a thing’ and some might find it helpful if they have an enlarged prostate as well as reducing the risk of cancer, especially if no longer conventionally sexually active.

Example ref: Reduce Your Risks for Prostate Cancer with Prostate Massage - Sperling Prostate Center

Sorry - my earlier remark was entirely jocular. I’ve now added an emoji to make it clearer 🫨🧱

1 Like

VG - I got the joke but decided to Google what the actual gas was anyway in the interests of educating the masses (and myself) . :smiley:

1 Like