Prostate Cancer Testing 2024

Now seems a reasonable time to remind our the menfolk that Testing is a good idea and very simply done…

EDIT:
In case anyone misunderstands…
I am not advocating that every single male gets himself tested… just reminding our menfolk to consider chatting with the GP if experiencing any symptoms or even just uneasy about things… :wink:

1 Like

At quarter past nine on a Friday evening!:wink:

Thanks anyway for thinking of us all.

1 Like

Men might want to read this and make their decision.

It will be interesting to read the update, when it comes along…

“Page last reviewed: 18 October 2021
Next review due: 18 October 2024”

Here’s Ameli’s latest info…

https://www.ameli.fr/gironde/assure/sante/themes/cancer-prostate/depistage

Doesn’t it say the same thing?

en France et à l’étranger, aucune autorité de santé ne recommande le dépistage systématique du cancer de la prostate par dosage du PSA (antigèneprostatique spécifique) chez les hommes sans symptôme .

I’m not suggesting every man alive goes and gets tested… :wink: :wink:

I’m suggesting that now… as we did quite a while ago… we should raise the subject of Prostate Testing… so that any man who has symptoms, whatever sort, does find the courage to talk with his doctor and get a test done if deemed advisable…

Ignoring it, pushing it to the back of his mind… is not a good idea… but it’s what many men do… sadly.

I put the Ameli link for those men in France… lots of pertinent info.

1 Like

Maybe edit your initial post to say men “with symptoms or concerns”

Careful using the term men as there are a number of pronouns who may get upset as they are “women” but have prostates. (Not in my book though ) :joy:

Unfortunately, if you wait for symptoms then it’s often too late.The PSA isn’t necessarily a reliable indicator of cancer but it’s the best we’ve got and I’d prefer a false positive that drives an investigation then the opposite. But I am quite biased at the moment.

3 Likes

Our French Doc suggested a simple test… just to get a “base-line” for OH who was not experiencing any symptoms… but, like a CTechnique, it was another thing to tick off the list…

and the PSA test was just another thingy to be added to his next blood test being done for other health thingies…

So glad our Doc took the initiative… as the PSA result gave pause for thought. Further investigations found a nasty cancer which was dealt with swiftly and with style…

:+1:

Understandably! But there are good reasons, as explained, why no national screening process exists so it is an individual decision based on one’s own circumstances and concerns.

Older age and multiple health conditions could be some of them.

In 2018 (shortly before we moved permanently to France), I asked my GP for a PSA test - he refused on the grounds that there are too many false positives and if i had no symptoms then not to test.
Here in France, my doctor insisted on full blood tests when she registered me and when questioned about the PSA test she seemed bemused when i told her of my UK GP’s refusal. Thankfully it came back at 2.4 which apparently is normal for men younger than myself.

1 Like

Yep, you confirm whst I say: the UK GP system and those in it are by and lsrge cr*p

Everyone should have a full blood test each year as a CT on ones general health. PSa is part of the test. It is not a definitive test, but one that alerts one to take it futther.

I too had an idiot GP say the same. The same GP could not diagnose that I had shingles :slightly_smiling_face:

Thankfully my medicin here does his job to perfection.,

1 Like

As well as prostate cancer checks I would respectfully suggest also being aware of bowel cancer and having that checked.

Surrey NHS have a policy of automatic screening of men over 60 - they sent me a kit requesting a poo sample - the first year to my shame I ignored it but the second time I did the necessary and sent it off - they called me in for a colonoscopy and found a few polyps which were fortunately benign, but which nevertheless the surgeon removed.

The colonoscopy procedure is merely undignified rather than painful for most people - you can have “gas and air” to relax you if needed - so I highly recommend any of us in the relevant age group to have your internals inspected if the opportunity arises. :smiley:

The worst bit is having to not eat solid food for 24 hours prior, and having to drink the Moviprep stuff that flushes out your insides so that the gut mechanic can get a good look with his CCTV scope.

(I apologise for the graphic detail to anyone who happens to read this at or near a mealtime). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

France has a very good bowel cancer screening programme, every 2 years for everyone over 50 (maybe 55🤔)

3 Likes

Thank you - I wasn’t aware of that! Glad to hear it!

Yes, France does good screening. OH also got a post covid health screen offered to check that the lockdowns and isolation hadn’t had a bad effect. But possibly because people weren’t going to their MTs! However our MT follows the national policy of PSA not being essential unless the patient wants it or has symptoms. Instead uktra-sound screening for aortic aneurysm as family history indicates a need.

1 Like

I very much agree.

I had an enlarged prostate a few years ago. A PSA result deemed it not to be cancer & the urologist put me on a drugs that supposedly shrunk the prostate & therefore allow me to pee properly. I didn’t get on with the drugs & eventually had an op to remove part/most of it.

Fortunately I opted to have the treatment locally which meant that unlike the more modern laser treatment available over 70kms away there were bits removed that could then be analysed. A tiny amount of possibly cancerous cells were detected, so I then had a proper biopsy which put me in the clear i.e. there was nothing nasty left behind.

The urologist told me to have an annual PSA test. I now combine that with tests for pretty much everything, including vitamin levels (handy when you’re a vegan). My MT never hesitates with the ordonnance :grinning:

4 Likes

Bowel Cancer test kits are available (foc) in France to those aged 50-74…

Younger, or Older people can discuss with their MT to get the tests outside the above age-guidelines…

There is a very amusing story about a man’s experience with ‘Agent Picolax’ regarding similar circumstances that I can provide a link to, if you find that kind of thing amusing.