Put down that steak knife

The fact that these omissions are topics shows the improvements we are making, I see it as positive rather than negative. The previous generations are the ones that set the bad trend.

Yes it was :slight_smile:

We’re all responsible for our unsustainable lifestyles to some extent, though the young less so for obvious reasons. But really it’s a systemic problem. Although there is evidence that previous social formations over-exploited their environment, and indeed that ‘communist’ systems like China can produce a lot of pollution, etc, by far the main problem is the extent of an economic system that incentivises private profit extraction rather than the health and well-being of people and planet, and that is, moreover, absolutely dependent on growth.

This truly brilliant article earlier this week nailed it:

I’m not sure how old you are @Rocam but I suspect it is primarily your generation on the whole who are the only ones who would still go anywhere near “fisogbook” at this point assuming it means what I think it does. It’s the conspiracy nutcases, swivel eyed right wingers, and 50+ keeping that place alive, even Facebook inc realises that which is why they spend so much time trying to replicate features from other platforms and implement them in their other brands. They’re well aware what a toxic dump “twatter” is too, so I’m not sure how much PTSD there would be when those go down, more like celebrations lol. Insta or TikTok and you might have a point…

2 Likes

What exactly do you want to know? Statistics for Scottish beef emissions are from the whole of Scotland.

I enjoy a nice bavette à l’échalotte every now and then.

1 Like

Bavette is good, onglet is my favourite though. Poire, araignée, hampe are all good too.

1 Like

One of the revelations in the recently leaked internal research was that Facebook’s daily teenage and young adult (18-24) users have “been in decline since 2012-13” and “only users 25 and above are increasing their use of Facebook”.

Yes, so my daughter told me a while ago Geof. They’ve migrated to Instagram and others.

Had onglet not knowing what it was… it was on the Menu de jour.
The cook said “you won’t like it, it has to be swiftly shown to the pan… that’s all… and the English will hate that”
We tried it none the less and eat every scrap… and later looked for it in our local butcher…
At around 29€ a kilo… I daren’t risk it…

Incidentally, years back in UK that cut would be cheap as chips and cooked long and low… delicious.

Stella, parlez -vous onglet ?

3 Likes

In Leroy Merlin yesterday, having trouble locating the bits of DIY which OH had on his shopping list …
so I sought help from one of the workforce… who answered my hesitant French… “Do you spik Ingleeesh?”… to which I replied “Uh littelle…”

and we all had a good laugh… other shoppers probably thought we were nuts… but… who cares… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

No, not Rouge

Cafe De La Place - always good value and friendly people running it.

1 Like

I’ve heard many such stories over the years Stella but my favourite remains this one.
A very good friend, a keen diy chap was repairing some pipe work in the garage. He was about nine inches short of 40mm piping so he asked his good lady who was going shopping if she would pop into a well known hardware store in town and pick up the piping.
She went to the counter and asked the man if she could have ‘une pipe’ (a blow job) and gestured with her hands a length of about nine inches.
The chap serving gave her a funny look and eventually satisfied her needs after he twigged.

2 Likes

brings to mind… 4 candles… :rofl: :rofl:

@Stella try these people maybe?

The local butcher is more expensive than the hypermarket butchery counters (and online), no doubt about it… but I know him and his products… how he works and that the animals (all local) are properly reared (in my opinion…)
All that comes at a price…

I am prepared to pay the price at our local restaurants (when they have onglet in…) since I know they use our butcher…
and I am confident that they will cook it properly (ie won’t ruin it as I might well do.)

Incidentally, joue de porc used to be a cheap cut (if I recall correctly.) Now it’s gone up in price…
Properly cooked it’s absolutely delicious and obviously/perhaps more and more folk are asking for it.

On the way back from Île d’Oléron… I had joue de boeuf for the first time.
I could have eaten that with a spoon, it was so meltingly tender…

Never tried Onglet. What part is that ?. I’ve tried hampe, which I think is similar to the English skirt, and is beautiful slow cooked.

Edit: Decided to not be lazy and look up what onglet is. Interweb says hanger steak. Crikey, you really do have to be careful cooking that.

Not that far from us! Didn’t realise you were in this area.

I live just outside Grand-Brassac :slight_smile: