Qlima Monoblock Air Cooling/Heating - Any experience/Views?

Really difficult one to call…

Does the machine have to be on at night ??? since a mosquito can drive one to distraction… :roll_eyes:

Yes, but presumably the installation can’t get down from the wall and buzz in your ear.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: depends on how well it’s been put in place… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you Andrew and John @Corona.

I’m looking at reviews (in Dutch!) and they are pretty good and the company does seem to be good at responding if there is an issue, so I’ll try contacting them. They have a good website in English with an English contact form.

When the temperature at night is in the 20s - as it can easily be here in July - an air conditioner that runs all night and won’t disturb would be a bonus. At the moment our guests put up with the free-standing ones which are noisy.

Fair enough… as I said, it’s a difficult call.

I note that the unit covers 60~80 cubic metres, so check your room cubic capacity just to be sure it’ll do the job you want it to…

(On another tack… is there any way to improve/add-to the insulation of the gîte… )

It’s already very good.

1 Like

Well, you’ve done the best you can.

It will be interesting to see how the project comes along…

(we too suffer hot nights during summer… but by the time we’re considering sleeping in the cellar, the weather has calmed down enough… until the next time… :roll_eyes: :rofl:)

When you’ve paying-guests it is somewhat different.

1 Like

Finally coming back to this. Have bought a couple of units - one for each bedroom and we need a 180mm hole cutter. Any suggestions please where we might be able to hire one? Thanks

Depends what you need to cut through, if its stone/granite if you want a nice round hole then its probably a professional job. I’ve just made one at 150 mm in a 60 cm stone wall using a 20mm, 1m long SDS bit, had to drill about 30 holes though. Our local hire shop does a wet cut diamond tipped “carrot” but only up to 100 mm

1 Like

Seconded

55.5cm wall, mixture of stone and rubble. I’m not doing it but I’m just checking around to see what’s possible.

Diamond core bit attached to a slow core drill.
General SDS drills are not powerful enough and too higher rpm.

1 Like

Hi Sue
I have just bought one of these https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08L44W8Q8 which arrived yesterday and I have still to install
It only requires a 70mm diameter hole which should be more manageable, but I have yet to drill a hole through our 50cm granite stone wall.
Maybe an option if you haven’t bought your unit yet and you wish to drill a smaller hole.

Anything is possible with SDS drills and patience, I did this 5 years ago with one, it just took time/patience and sore arms, I just tackled it from both sides🙂.
As Mark says a ring of drill holes, then dig out.
I am in the middle of digging a door aperture out in the stables the same way.

1 Like

Hi Peter, thanks for the suggestion, but yours is a split air con. We have no space for the exterior fan and so have gone for a monobloc solution which is all in the room. It needs two large holes through the wall - one for incoming air, one for outgoing. Good idea in theory, but hadn’t appreciated quite what it would mean for our walls.

Nice work!

Coming back to this thread yet again!

It’s only taken a year to get the air conditioners installed! They are fine - fit well in the room, not too noisy and have been well-installed.

Unfortunately there’s still an issue. :roll_eyes:

They just have a plug (not wired in) BUT the manual says the plug must go directly into a wall socket. Neither unit is close to a wall socket and I initially tried them with an extension lead.

I am waiting for our electrician who is bogged down in another project. In the meantime, is there any kind of safety extension lead that I could use with these units that would enable me to use them?

Thanks for any help / suggestions.

The maximum power consumption looks like its 1200w, so a “normal” extension lead should be ok. Get one thats as short as possible .

2 Likes

But one that reaches :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Mark. I sometimes think the overly cautious safety instructions at the beginning of user manuals these days are just so that the company can’t be sued. :roll_eyes: