Question for Americans filing US returns

I hope those of you who have to file a US tax return can help me. My husband receives a pension from Ireland and the UK. We have always reported the income but never sent any supporting documents with the return, and have never had any questions from the IRS regarding this.

This year, though, we also have IRA income. Now that all pensions and IRA withdrawals are on the same line on the new 1040, I’m wondering if we should send supporting documents for the other pensions as well? Our total pension income on the 1040 will be different from the amount reported by our IRA and I’m thinking this discrepancy may cause us problems? Do any of you have experience with this? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Just to clarify the situation, are both you and your husband American citizens ?

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the reply. I almost contacted you directly as you have very kindly responded to some of my questions in the past.:slightly_smiling_face: Yes… I am an American citizen and, for tax purposes, he is classified as a resident alien.

I have sent you a Private Message in view of the nature of the matter under discussion.