Question on Card Readers to Business Owners in France

Does anyone here have a French business, with a French business bank account, and use iZettlle to take card payments?
Do you know if your customers see your business name on the transaction in their bank accounts or “PAYPAL PTE”?
I am looking at using SumUp and iZettle for our card payments, cancelling the very expensive CA contract.
Occasionally we have card payments appear from our pwrsonal account where the only information we have is “PAYPAL PTE”. That is really annoying and I do not wish to inflict that on my customers. What I want to know os whether this appears because that is the only manner that iZettle works, or because the company/person I bought from has not configured their account to show a name.
The obvious thing to do is to ask iZettle, I know. I have done that, but received absolutely no reply. So, pre-sale customer service is equal to that of CA :slight_smile:

I don’t know the answer to your specific question as regards iZettle, but read on…

My experience with SumUp here in the UK was utterly atrocious - I bought a card reader from them which would not work with any phone I tried, and their tech support took two days to reply to each of my emails, simply quoting the relevant page of online support (variations on “switch it off and on again”).

In the end I went with a Square card reader, which was not only half the price but worked flawlessly first time (with the same phone that the SumUp device had turned its nose up at).

It took over a month to get a refund from SumUp for the card reader which I had returned to them (and which they initially denied having received even though I sent it “tracked”.

BTW I managed to find out how Square transactions are recorded - basically they prefix your name with SQ*

https://squareup.com/help/gb/en/article/5103-square-purchases-and-cardholder-help

So I would perhaps suggest trying Square! They charge 1.4% plus €0.25 per transaction.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the UK Customer Service of SumUp.
As you say it does not help with my question directly. However, it does inform me that were I to use Square, customers will see our name on ther bank statements. That is a good thing.
I do not like the Square device, though.
I do like the iZettle terminal, the one that does not require a phone in order to operate.

OK fair enough if you don’t like Square’s hardware - I’m not sure what the difference would be between iZettle’s countertop terminal and the Square one? Software maybe? Square do an iPad based one as well which looks quite cool.

I have the tiny Square device that connects to a phone and I think it’s brilliant - works perfectly, can be used to swipe or by inserting a card, and it only cost me £16!

But if you don’t like Square’s machines then you have a dilemma!

The main difference is that the SquareUp device has no means of entering a PIN, that relies on one’s own phone.
For technologists that does not present any issue, but out here in the wilds of nowhere Linkys, phonemasts and even WiFi are still regarded with some suspicion. I cannot change that.
Instead, I would like my card reader to give the least doubts to my customers. We sell a lot at markets so I want to provide as professional looking a solution as possible and pander to the prejudices apparent in some of my customers.
The iZettle terminal, as opposed to the iZettle card reader, is a stand alone sution. It does not require a mobile phone or tablet to be connected to it, there is a SIM card inside for mobile network connectivity. Allegedly, it also has a long battery life, essential for day long outdoor markets.
I hope that clarifies my position and why I was seeking views on how iZettle payments on a French contract appear on French bank statements ?

Well I suppose you could run a test by changing the name on your iZettle account to “Madame Fifi’s Massage Parlour” ? Then see feedback on where the name had popped up.

Paypal is used by a lot of websites as a payment processor - processing standard card payments such as Visa and Mastercard for the site even if the person paying doesn’t have a Paypal account, Paypal handles it for the site. A bit like Worldpay.

So it may be that for a section of their business, or a geography or for transactions done offline, (similar to when you buy something off the duty free trolley in an aircraft halfway across the Atlantic), iZettle may have contracted for Paypal to take this feed of transactions when they are loaded either manually by the seller or autonatically when the device connects to a transmitter and they may not have ensured that the business name of the seller was preserved on the transaction.

I don’t know whether this helps you. My vet uses iZettle and certainly it seems very straightforward when I pay her using my C/A debit card. (I used to pay her by cheque, so this is much easier.)
I’ve just checked my bank account and what I see on my statement is:

A six digit reference number followed by IZ followed by my vet’s bank account name, followed by the date when I paid.

What she sees on her a/c I obviously don’t know, but I would imagine it’s something similar but with my account name.

Hope this helps.

Silly question - could you not ask iZettle?

The OP has done this (see first post) but received no reply…

Thank you Sue. That is exactly what I wanted to know: I f I switch to using iZettle for card payments my customers will still see my company name on their bank statements.
Coincidentally, iZettle actually replied today, some 20 minutes ago. They confirmed what you have experienced.

Well yes, I could sign up for iZettle, buy the card reader, do a transaction with my own personal bank card and see what happens. It seemed sensible to ask as part of my preliminary research. That would save the cost of a card reader if it did not function as I would like…
Fortunately for me, Sue PJ has answered my question succinctly :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Brian.
Sorry @Magwych I just popped in a quick rely and didn’t read back over what you’d already said.

1 Like