Question:sharing water supply with farmer for his calves

Yes, OH has given up mentioning he doesn"t eat meat as it doesn’t register.

I’m a failed veggie, boeuf bourgignan today, lovely. I did feel a bit of regret for George’s calf neighbours though. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I think it would almost merit a thread on its own - how to politely decline the offer of a haunch of beef - as a vegetarian! That said, there are two hungry hounds here who don’t go in for any of this veggie nonsense.

Our Staffit (whippet/staffie cross) and Pomchiter (Pomeranian/Chihuahua/Terrier cross) would definitely be in the market for some nice fresh beef,.

EDIT- the Pomchiter has just been washed, having thrown up all night, definitely not as a result of eating something disgusting on the walk yesterday evening

3 Likes

So true… sometimes I think it might even be in the forum Tcs and C’s!

3 Likes

Even more so if I were to tell neighbours, that in addition to the ‘crime’ of being vegetarian, I’ve also completely lost my taste for alcohol and coffee…(how to make life difficult for myself in France…!)

5 Likes

Actually, coffee and alcohol seem to be increasingly on the “banned” list around my neck of the woods… more and more folk are saying “no, thanks” and explaining it’s due to a health issue…
no details given…
everyone just looks sympathetic (and/or possibly horrified… :wink: ) and life goes on…
often fruit juice or tisane is offered, depending…

2 Likes

Can’t stand coffee, love the smell hate the taste, alcohol has no effect on me so I haven’t drank in 15 years (family taxi service :laughing:) I can’t stand wine as it all tastes of vinegar to me and I’m allergic to chocolate, welcome to France :laughing::grin:

3 Likes

how about ginger… ???

Alcohol has no effect on me… unless I drink a lot…
There are some very tasty alcoholic drinks which I enjoy sipping… and some tasty juices etc… just depends on what I fancy at the time…

Schweppes ginger beer in the brown bottles, good as wine anyday.

2 Likes

You may recall the question I raised in April about providing our farmer neighbour with access to our mains water to slake the thirst of his calves…

Some of you speculated that the farmer might well turn up with, for example, a haunch of beef, by way of a thank you. I was slightly nervous of this scenario, being a vegetarian! Anyhow today, out of the blue, he appeared with a lovely tray of home grown veg for us, to thank us for having part of our lawn dug up to help him locate a water pipe to connect to his calves drinking trough. A nice gesture.

Incidentally the 5 calves have racked up a water bill between them of …only about 30€ to date, which the farmer reminded me to bill him…rather lower than our initial estimates of water costs.

15 Likes

Excellent - and this has probably done you no end of good as a bon voisin in the neighborhood :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

And a timely reminder to the rest of us to trust our fellow man/woman more, and to not be so suspicious. :joy:

Enjoy your bounty. :grinning:

10 Likes

No thoughts of making your own?
Brewing water kefir at the moment, a healthy fizzy drink. So far flavoured with available summer fruits but next batch will be either ginger (almost ginger beer) or a mint one for OH.

2 Likes

I have just had a re aquaintance with coffee, gring the beans, into the french press no milk no sugar. Cant stand instant now, tastes like poor gravy. All that after drinking mainly tea.

Is that the opposite of rich gravy?

It certainly is, nowhere near a tasty.