Question:sharing water supply with farmer for his calves

Brief background. Our friendly elderly farmer neighbour has asked if he can access our water supply to enable him to provide water for his calves in the summer months. His meadow is on 3 sides of our house. His own farm buildings and water supply are about 1.5km away. Basically he wants to avoid having to physically transport large quantities of water by trailer to the meadow each day, during the summer, as he is getting on (late 70s) and struggles with the transporting.

He would install a meter at the point our water supply enters our house, and will meet the costs of water used. There is an existing pipe from our water inlet that was installed by a previous owner for exactly the same purpose (albeit it hasn’t been used for some years).

Question : we want to help the farmer, who has been welcoming and relations are good. I can’t immediately see any particular problem given the existence of the meter, his willingness to pay the costs etc, but wonder if anyone has either done something similar or can think of any showstoppers?

I assume nothing needs to be put in writing concerning this informal arrangement? It might, I guess, raise questions from the water company about sudden increases usage, (have we got a leak?!), albeit they are being fully paid…I don’t know if there is a knock on impact on the non consumption elements of our bill eg the various water syndicate costs that seem to be added to bills…We are not profiting in any way, so assume that hopefully there is nothing that needs to be reported for tax purposes. I assume we could end the arrangement with suitable notice at any time, given the water comes from our property, and would emphasise that to the farmer.

Any quick thoughts most welcome.

1 Like

The only slight worry I would have is that you might be creating some sort of agricultural precedent as I have heard that farmers who are allowed to graze animals or crop grass from other peoples’ land cannot easily be shifted if the land is sold or required for another purpose.

This was one thought I had when I was trying to buy adjoining forest to extend the fenced area for my dogs, and did have some thoughts that the field next to it would be an advantage but I know it is cropped by a farmer once a year although he does not own it.

I would think a legal agreement of some kind might be a good idea. No doubt he would cover that cost too?

The calves are not on George 1’s land as I read it. His question only concerns the supply of water.

Thanks @David_Spardo @Jane_Williamson .Jane’s reading is right, the calves remain at all times on the farmer’s land, it is just a question of sharing water supplies to the calves (a few metres away from our house). An existing small pipe/hose already is installed (under the soil) across our garden to the meadow. I too would not have wanted to create a grazing precedent - like David, I’ve heard of enough issues that can subsequently arise…

I have not misunderstood the grazing of the cattle, I was just saying that in the French countryside there are agreements of all kinds with farmers which are easily made and sometimes not so easily rescinded. That’s all.

2 Likes

I would speak to your Maire and the water company. It could involve quite a lot of water over a year.

4 Likes

Maybe the simplest solution would be that the farmer asked for a supply of water to his land from the water supplier.

4 Likes

The question that I would want to find an answer to (which I don’t know) is the tax implications of a accepting money for this “service”? You would have to calculate the costs to you of a M3 of water, as the actual water is only about half what you pay. And depending on how many livestock he had on the field this could add up.

10 youngsters will use upwards of 2 m3 a week, so only €10 or so a week. But over the months this could add up. Still not a massive amount most likely, but as far as the tax man is concerned the amount could be irrelevant.

The other issue is how to stop this turning into a legal servitude of some sort. Whilst happy to do this for the current farmer, would you want to continue the arrangement if the farm was acquired by some one else less pleasant?

3 Likes

I guess as we go though this dry period water consumption will be monitored to ensure people adhere to the restrictions. Will allowing the farmer to piggy-back on your supply put you over any limits? As an alternative could he have his own meter installed running off the mains in front of your house or is the run too long?

2 Likes

At what cost?

Would drawing up a legal contract with a Notaire be a solution? You can put in it all the protections mentioned above and still do a kindness for your neighbour and the calves.

1 Like

Doesn’t the existing pipe establish a precedent?

1 Like

Hi George1,
You say the farmers land surrounds your property on three sides. I assume the fourth side is the roadway where the water main runs? If so, does the farmers land also abut the road, and is it not possible for him to have a metered connection directly from the mains onto his land?

1 Like

Interesting question, which I have thrown at our Mairie this morning…

Basically, the simple response was:
The Particulier does NOT have the right to re-sell Mains Drinking Water (it is illegal).
The Farmer should contact the Water Company and arrange for his own connection.

and… if the Particulier simply links a pipe to his tap/whatever and lets the Farmer take water for his livestock… that Particulier is going to be paying an arm and a leg (especially when the suggested punitive Water charges for Particuliers come into force…).

7 Likes

As so often, a seemingly simple solution can have complex, unforeseen consequences.

3 Likes

Harsh as this sounds,i wouldn,t get involved at all and just politely say no it is not possible to the farmer.A few years ago we very kindly let the farmer who owned the field next to us use our electric supply for his electric fence for a few days until he had repaired whatever it was had gone wrong with his usual set up. Unfortunately this went on and on and on for months.Despite me asking him several times when i happened to see him,he made no effort to come and explain or offer us anything in return.Needless to say we just had to unplug his supply,cost us,but lesson learned.

2 Likes

Based on @Stella 's response, what about @George1 and the farmer going to the Mairie to discuss it?

The secretariat would be able to explain all the ramifications to the farmer and as a bonus, George will have enhanced his reputation as a helpful and caring member of the commune.

6 Likes

(always useful to go and chat at the mairie, in my experience… )

One of the Adjoints had started mumbling on about…
who’s responsible if a pipe leaks, or there’s pollution, something which affects the livestock… something which affects the property…

Good grief… that person was looking more and more dismal, obviously trying to think of how to avoid all the things which could possibly go wrong… :worried: :worried:
and that was a step much too far for me to discuss…

It will be interesting to hear how this does get sorted… hopefully to everyone’s satisfaction.

Not just a supply but you get charged for treating the water taken by a multiple of the supply so a more complicated calculation than just supply via the meter.

Don’t know, but if the farmer wants the water he pays and has the responsibility for the installation.
Also, maybe he’d be billed for the water supply and not the wastewater charge?