Quick help with French

Download the app DeepL. Easy peasy to use. You type in English and it translates into very good French. Best program available at the moment. The basic version is free, and unless you are commercial you won’t need to pay for an upgraded version. Bon courage

Most of the time it translates it correctly. Occasionally it gets it spectacularly wrong. Trouble is when the user doesn’t have sufficient French to judge …
Also, another heads up about not typing personal info in, because it will be stored.

Indeed - and I would not claim my French was good enough not to be in that group.

I must admit - useful as they are, I try to limit their use to unravelling tricky bits of French and checking my own translations into French.

1 Like

If you want specific technical/legal etc terms translated, try Linguee, you get lots of examples to give you context for appropriateness.

3 Likes

Well, we have a table. As noted on the Visual Alphabet thread, not quite the colour we thought it was going to be - more “golden” than “chestnut” but it looks less “off” in the lighting at home.

Pleasantly surprised at how much of the chap’s French I understood - more or less all of it, including the bit about the fact that he would put the blankets he was using to protect the surface on top in case the heavens opened (which they did not much after he left) but not to worry that they would fall off as we turned the table through 90° to get it through the door (but note to self, basculer was the verb he used, not tourner).

He practised his English a bit which wasn’t too shabby, I thought,

The colour does vary a bit depending on the angle and the light, in any case it might darken with age.

The match looks quite good in this shot.

4 Likes

Basculer is to tilt or rock, rather than turn :grin: you tourne on the same plane, if you bascule you change planes.

Looks good!

1 Like

Fits the room perfectly and in fact at that angle Paul it highlights the lighter shades picked out in your flooring.
I agree a few shades darker wouldn’t have gone amiss but it looks fine and as you say it can possibly darken with time but that will depend on how much sunlight it is subjected to (it may get lighter!) :hushed:

1 Like

The issue was matching existing oak furniture as well as the floor - obviously being different woods we were not expecting a perfect match but the one we originally saw in the shop felt “browner” and closer to the oak.

It won’t get too much light as we’re only here 6 weeks a year and the shutters are down the rest of the time.

1 Like

Yup, nigh on impossible to get perfect colour matches with natural products. It looks good Paul, I wouldn’t be too concerned. You can always apply a tinted wax.

I think it would look lovely with these beauties:

We have taken on a house that was full of furniture - the time has come to start moving it on!

They seem far too go to paint - they must have cost a fortune when new as they are from a furniture supplier in Paris.

Any bright ideas of how to sell them?

I’m afraid I’m going to have to pass on that offer :slight_smile:

They do have a certain style!

1 Like

Mmmm… a certain je ne sais quoi, definitely :slight_smile:

That thought had occurred :slight_smile:

1 Like

@anon27586881 Oh, I don’t know, some of the letters I get from my Indian law firm correspondents hark back to those halcyon days of Empire English : “We beg to remain, esteemed Sir, your most dutiful servants”, etc, etc.

And “we beg leave to remain your most humble and obedient servants”

1 Like

Can anyone please help with this order for floor & wall tiles with Leroy Merlin:

I am confused by the use of “retiree” - Google shows this as Withdrawn - in the instance of an order do you think that retiree means withdrawn (picked) from warehouse or that the order has been withdrawn ie cancelled.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure but wouldn’t cancelled be annulé, or résilié?

Within the current Covid19 online order and pick-up conditions, it would seem to imply “withdrawn”.

1 Like

And by that do you mean cancelled?

The reason for the sudden interest is I am expecting the delivery on Monday.