Quick question on title deeds

One of our friends through the Anglo French forum has ask me a question about their title deeds (acte de vente) which I am unsure about.
They have lost most of their paperwork through a bad flood, deeds, diagnostic paper work and most of the bumf that came through the house sale, i would have thought the notare would be able to supply them with a copy of the deeds/paper work or do they have to go through the French land registry.
Thanks in advance.

AFAIK the notaire keeps all the original documentation, when they eventually get round to sending house “deeds” out, they’re normally copies. So yes, the notaire can provide copies.

2 Likes

Thats what we were told also when we enquired where our deeds were having paid off the mortgage.

In this case, it’s best for your friend to reach out to the notaire who handled the house sale. They should be able to provide a copy of the title deeds and other necessary paperwork. If not, then going through the French land registry would be the next step. Good luck to your friend, hope they sort it out soon! :house_with_garden::sweat_drops: