Quite interesting - British nationals distribution across France

I think that is the perjorative used by the Daily Heil in the UK, as I have never heard it used here in France

Was anyone saying the country was aver-run with Brits? Overall density of the British in Dordogne is around 2%, similar to the national percentage which is just over 2%. (My area is 0.08%)

I find it funny when people bang on about why the French aren’t doing more for UK immigrants, as we are really a tiny part of the population, so why should they? Of european immigrants the portuguese are a far more significant minority.

2 Likes

Oh I have, often Norman, and most often by English people on forums, but not this one. But then I have only been here 5 minutes. :slightly_smiling_face:

It doesn’t really matter, but it is the inference that, because I live where I do indicates that I chose this place solely in order to immerse myself in an Anglo ghetto.

Just a bit irritating, no more than that.

@Jane Jones. I personally haven’t heard anything about the Brits overrunning the country and the only hint of special treatment for UK immigrants is when someone compares the lack of it to the official care extended to people in England who are accorded official documents in the various languages of the Indian sub-continent.

And yes, I know more Portuguese living locally then Anglos. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are a couple of threads from someone on here who feels very hard done by, for a reason that is hard to fathom…

2 Likes

Only used by people speaking English - most of us wouldn’t know or care what a shire is and the pronunciation is tricky for us so we would avoid it…

1 Like

Have we finally found a language issue beyond @vero?! (out of absolute & pure jealousy!)

I haven’t seen them but, yes, I agree, though I expect it is from people who can’t speak French and resent people in England who can’t speak English, but are catered for.

Yes Veronique, Dordogneshire is an English word and only understood and used by some English speakers, but it is usually used by Brits elsewhere in France taking the chance to sneer at those who tend to gravitate to Anglo enclaves. And they, erroneously, believe that that is what the Dordogne is.

If I find folk (of any nationality) want to sneer (about anything)… I steer well clear of them… :roll_eyes: :rofl: :rofl:… they’re just being silly (in my opinion) and life is too short … :relaxed: :relaxed:

2 Likes

Hahaha I meant ‘us’ as generic Fr people - people like me who speak each language the way the native parent does don’t count :grin: nobody here ever thinks I can speak anything but the local language, but I was educated in the UK where they couldn’t imagine I spoke French.

No it drives me insane (as you said other forums are really bad for it!) we have probably a similar percentage here and I don’t even really see any others! All our friends are French!

I thought the BBC had coined it… wasn’t there a TV series? It only ran for one season I think - obviously not well received anywhere.

I hadn’t seen that before, an interesting link though they did overdue the ‘Dordognshire’ jibe a bit.

Accord to another study by Britain’s Institute of Public Policy Research the percentage of British nationals living in France who were pensioners was only 22.5 percent.

In fact the figure may be higher than that as I don’t think they made a distinction between those who moved on/after retirement and those of us who worked here and then retired, and thus became French pensioners as well.

Zut alors!

Dordognshire - I thought this was originally coined by John Mortimer (Rumpole of the Old Bailey).