Re-cycling glass jars etc

Not all glass is recycled in a furness, crushed glass is also used in many other products including filter media and building products. Removing some of debris will save time and water at the other end.

Why should I pay to let others make a profit, more importantly its my fosse septique and I look after it

1 Like

No there wouldn’t, a cremation usually runs at around 1500°F, a GTF glass furnace runs around 2600- 3100°F, that plus the abrasive effect of sand means that at the forehearth no bone would be left, I designed and built glass furnaces.

1 Like

So, putting aside the rather dark idea of a glass furnace crematorium, is the panel saying we should scrape out our jars but not wash? My husband will be pleased. He always tells me I overthink.

2 Likes

As I dont like seeing piles of maggot infested rubbish and flies everywhere I will continue to rinse out any glass with the old dishwater cos thats what I do.

5 Likes

Unless they have reduced the temperatures to save energy I think you are a bit low there, 1100 to 1300 C used to be the temp. I wasnt suggesting putting glass/silica sand in the same furness so there wouldnt be the abrasive present. Is there really that much air movement in a glass furnace to sand blast?

It’s not a good thing to waste clean drinking water for the task of cleaning out recycling but I would never not rinse things out, for the many reasons already given.

To open this thread further…we clean out tins as a matter of course too.

1 Like

Glass in a furnace is made mostly from sand :wink:

I clean out containers using the old dishwater method as well.
As an aside, one of the nicest uses for cullet I have seen is worktops especially lit ones.
641989a98f62aa782f528e9e50d3e298
recycled-glass-countertops-red-yellow-675-min
021211026-03-main

6 Likes

Sorted, perhaps, Marmite jar, lid off, firmly strapped to the end of the bird bar with the strap intended for the still not working trail camera. We’ll see if it attracts anything.

Of course, I could end up with a neglected jar leaking a black treacly mass onto the bar exactly where I normally put the trail camera if it ever gets working again. And impossible to remove. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A bit of polythene down first would help.

You’re quite right, I wonder if I can catch it before it comes out.

Edit: Done, with a folded plastic bag for the time being, couldn’t find any polythene. I also put some birdseed leading to the opening, a couple of tits have already visited further along but didn’t detect, or weren’t interested in, the Marmite.

On verra. :thinking:

I hope the cam works and has night vision. Marmite may attract all kinds of critters :bat: :lizard: :mouse2: :hedgehog: :chipmunk: :cat2: :skunk:

Possibly not that last one but you never know!

I want one!

Yes, but I’ve used the strap now. :roll_eyes:
When I get around to checking the other one I’ll see if it still has its own strap. :grinning:

:wink::sunglasses: Whatever colour you want, it’s just LEDs, a different colour every day.
Kitchen-glass-countertop-Colin-Silber5-400x300

3 Likes

Stunning!

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Many years ago - open the Twiglets pack in the larder and our cat would come streaking in from the far end of the garden.

So you may well get feral cats. :grin:

2 Likes

Recyling and waste management in Vire is a disgrace. The row of bins down the road are often ovweflowing, bags tumbling on the ground, every imaginable sort of ‘waste’ from polystyrene packaging to bicycle parts, carboard boxes…

There is one bin for glass. That’s it.

At the dechet they take cardboard. I set up a bin to sort that. I did the same for plastics. When the guy inspected this bag he told me to throw it in with the mattresses, prams, misc gash.