Re-cycling glass jars etc

Are bottles and jars supposed to be cleaned or emptied before going into the bottle bank?
I have at last come to the conclusion that I am definitely a hater of Marmite. I bought a jar some months ago partly because I thought I had tried it years before and found it, if not enticing but acceptable, and partly because I wanted to use it for making gravy. I hated the taste this time round, and could see no advantage in the gravy I made, so it has to go.

I think I know the answer but, do I have to scrape it all out and into the general rubbish or wash it as well?
Same goes for a jar of Sharwoods curry cooking sauce. The opposite, too mild and in any case I have found something better.

Just wondered. :thinking:

Scrape it out and give it to the birds or just leave it in the jar outside, birds love it, I suppose somebody’s got to :nauseated_face:
Don’t give the curry sauce to birds if it contains garlic, it contains allicin and allicin is toxic for birds, some birds don’t react well to the onion in the sauce either.

I wash out all glass and plastics before putting them in their respective recycling bins. I imagine it is better for the folks at the other end :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Nope, you don’t need to rinse glass jars (or any other items e.g. soup packets, plastic bottles, etc…). It’s considered wasting water and is unnecessary as they’re not required to be clean for them to be recycled.

I tend to do it anyway, which I know I shouldn’t, just to stop my recycling bin getting smelly.

5 Likes

In our area, we’ve been firmly instructed to use/eat as much of the contents as we could … but on no account to wash anything intended for recycling.
To wash/rinse was seen as a waste of water etc…
EDIT… just realized I’ve crossed with @Gareth but it confirms the theory…

3 Likes

Fine if you don’t live with feral cats and a small mutt who was a street dog for a time and knows how to pull out the recycling bin and don’t mind flies.
I wash out everything - if necessary use washing up water that’s already been used

1 Like

Well that’s all good news, I don’t normally leave anything in receptacles but I don’t wash them out either, nice to know I’m doing something right. :innocent:

@Griffin36 Are you saying that there is nothing in the Marmite to harm any birds, or dogs?
I will have to work out a way of making sure it is out of reach of them but on the other hand, so that it can’t fall.

I volunteered at Edinburgh Zoo for a few years and the vet used to recommend it as a treat, salt content isn’t high enough to cause problems as a treat, the rooks and starlings used too love it as well.

1 Like

Washing them in the old dirty dish washing water doesnt waste it. Really is this where we are heading?

1 Like

I use a flexible plastic spatula to get every last bit out of jars, it’s amazing how much you can retrieve

4 Likes

I’ll work out a way to either tether it securely tomorrow or scrape it out onto something accessible, but scraping seem like hard work, it is almost full and turned upside down it moves at the speed of a glacier.

The principal I heard from someone running a recycling service was to remove all 3 dimensional food from the items, but they did not have to be clean.

1 Like

Surely marmite is a bit too salty for birds/animals…???

I am merely reporting the instructions given by the dustbins/waste-recycling folk.
With water shortages on the horizon more and more frequently, it makes sense for folk/you to be recycling the washing-up water.

1 Like

Post it to me !

No point in washing old glass it is recycled at1700 degrees C any old contents are just slag Could be a great murder mystery the body parts left in bottles

2 Likes

Only the teeth would be left after being in a glass furnace :wink:.

We empty them as much as possible and then swirl with dirty washing up water

There you go a new author and how you cracked it 100 quid for the idea please

And bones/fragments. The ashes produced in cremations are actually from mechanical crushers after the cremation.