Re registering a car from Gibraltar

I may well be buying a car which is currently registered in Gibraltar. Does anyone foresee any particula problems with reregistering it in France? Does the seller still need to date and sign the carte grise?

Many thanks

I wouldn’t have thought that a car registered in Gib would have a Certificat d’Immatriculation Francaise as Gib is a British dependency.
So, I would guess the same rules apply for registering a UK registered vehicle in France with all it’s attendant issues well documented elsewhere on Survive France.

Hi Denise… as Graham says… there is loads of info on the forum… checkout the Car/Motoring category…

cheers :relaxed:

You need to do what would happen in Gibraltar not what happens in France. Dating and signing the Carte Grise is what you’d do when buying a secondhand French car not one from another country.
Is the car in Gibraltar or France? Personally I wouldn’t buy a second hand car in France if it is not registered here. If it is straightforward to register, why haven’t the sellers registered it themselves?

Surely it is just like registering a car imported form anywhere in Europe? Maybe the OP’ use of the term “Carte Grise” has caused some confusion.

I am assuming the best case, i.e. that the car is a legally registered vehicle in Gibraltar and is less than 10 years old. In which case it will be just like registering a UK vehicle here.

The ANTS immatriculation web site does have a process for registering second-hand vehicles coming from another country in the EU . If all the vehicle’s documents are in order then an aplication can be made online, if the OP is lucky enough to be able to use a FranceConnect account, else a professionel should do it, for a fee.

Interestingly, our Maire popped around for a cuppa on Sunday, he was admanat that the applicaion can be done at the Mairie using a login and password they could supply. His neighbours are going through the same as me ( English, FranceConnect does not work for them) and is furious that people are being forced into paying for somethign that is free for French nationals.

Anyways, back to the question posed by Denise Sutton. To register the car here you will need a Certificat de Conformite, preferably in French. Any European language should be acceptable, a French version makes it easier and does not require the case be handled by someone up to speed with current EU legislation WRT documentation.

The vehicle should have a Certificate of Conformity I believe Gibraltar requires them. They are usually something that is supplied with a ne vehicle for registration then thrown away in countries where no-one cares about them. In France they are required. If no Certifcate is available the manufacturer should supply a duplicate CoC for any vehicle that is less than 10 years old. This is the hardest and slowest part of the process. If you have to request one then ask for one in French. They are only allowed to make a “reasonable” charge to cover admin in orde to issue a duplicate. Sadly, the likes of BMW use different reasoning than the rest of us :slight_smile: Once you have a Certificat de Conformite, stop for drink to celebrate :wink:

Now you need a Quitus Fiscal, this is a form that confirms no VAT is due. In the Aveyron I had to go to the Service des Impots des Enterprise to get one. I needed my ID, proof of address (Utility bill, nothing else), vehicle registration document, signed receipts. It took 5 minutes per vehicle, mostly spent by the issung officer photocopying everything. I have the original receipts for the vehicles that I bought new, the second hand ones I had hand-written receipts.
You will also need to fous on the Control Technique, in Gibraltar they may have some form of vehicle inspection. If the vehicle has passed an inspection within th elast 6 months, the Gibraltan form should suffice, but you will probably be asked for a French Control Technique document. A local CT centre should be be able to do this.
Armed with a Quitus Fiscal, that needs to be scanned along with the ID, proof of address, receipt, registration document, the Certificate De Conformite and the Control Technique. You need to make sure that no document scan is over 1Mb in size. 300dpi and all OCR turned off worked fine for me.
Finally you need an application form 13705, downloadable from here:
Fill in the form with the current registration number of the vehicle and the date it was first registered, the rest of the information should be on the existing registration document or the CoC, or your proof of address…
The last bit is uploading the whole lot to the ANTS website. If you have a FranceConnect accunt and are registered on the Social Security system you can do this yourself, else you can have a willing neighbour do it, or pay a professionel. There is a link to find your closest under <> on the ANTS site. Sorry, I could have pasted link but I just closed that window and I don’t want to take all the fun away :slight_smile:
The first vehicle that we registered took just over 3 weeks, the next 4 took only 2. We only have one outstanding vehicle now. I supplied th 5-month old UK MOT to see what woudl happne, they asked for a French COntrole Technique, which I had obtained 3 days after sending the application in.

The process is not designed to trip anyone up, but does require a few more bits of paper than some other countries may have issued.

Hope that helps and does not scare?

Our Mairie is equally furious… at all the fuss and bother ANTS is causing, plus making people pay to do something that should be free-for-all.

The Secretaire started helping folk… but it took too much of her time…she was on and off the phone to ANTS, the Prefecture… whoever…and getting more and more exasperated… “they” did at one point admit to her that there was a bug in the system…

and, as she said, if it is difficult for her… what hope does the “ordinary” person have.

22 January, I put in a request, using my own account, still waiting… :zipper_mouth_face:

I don’t understand your reference to 10 years, CoCs for cars have been issued since the late 1990s so all applicable cars under about 20 years old should be able to have one. The CoC does not have to be in French as it uses alphanumeric codes and VAG, for example, only issue CoCs in German whether they are obtained from Germany, Britain or France.
The confusion from the OP does come from their question about signing and dating the Carte Grise as that is something particular to changing ownership of an already French registered car and does not happen if you sell/buy a car with, for example, a V5.
There is no suggestion that non French nationals are required to pay any more than French nationals, as you have pointed out friends or neighbours can log on for you or, like anyone else including French nationals, you can pay a third party a fee to complete the paperwork for you.
The ANTS system is new and has had teething problems but is now becoming quicker to use and there are far more people able to offer help and advice on using it.

Hi Dominic,
Thank you for clarifying everything.

Re the 10 year bit: Manufacturers are obliged by law to provide a CoC duplicate up to 10 years after the issue of the original. After that time they no longer have any obligation to provide one, they may but are also entitled not to.

1 Like

Thanks for all your responses. As Anna says there is plenty of info on the forum.