Re-registering English Cars in France

typical English attitude of course - screw everyone else, I’m all right jack :roll_eyes:

Unfortunately… he is not the only rotter to come my way.
OH says I’m too trusting… :roll_eyes:

Haven’t read all the comments but you are supposed to register your car within a month of moving to France.
If you have Facebook, join the group ‘registering vehicles in France’ it’s full of experts that can help you. Before venturing to appointments here and there, it might be easier to get a local garage to do this process for you for a fee but in any case find out all you want from this group first, they can also calculate the fees before you do any more. It’s certainly a lot more expensive since Brexit. Good luck

Thank you for that info… I shall definitely have a look… I have been told so far, one month, 6 months and 12 months… I am six weeks in and haven’t done it… Terrified to drive!! Again, thank you…

Don’t worry. We registered one of our vehicles over 12 months after arriving here. The authorities seem happy that you have actually done it - mind you we hadn’t used it on the road in that time.

I think it is unlikely a local garage will visit Les Douanes. They can handle the rest.

Think you knew exactly what I meant Matt!

You’re welcome, there are experts on the group who can talk you through it and lots of files in the tabs if you want to read for yourself. You can easily get so much conflicting information. When we registered our car a few years ago, I got someone to do it for me. (I was charged 20€ for the admin!) It’s more complicated and expensive now. I don’t know if you have to take it anywhere for an inspection. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks so much, I shall let you know…

I cannot believe that this is still being discussed! What with what has been said above, there is still talk of expert groups on feecebook (lawd help us on that one… :face_vomiting:)

I would have thought by now you would have been to your local insurance broker and returned from the St Malo customs with your 836 ready to get your WW plate…!

If you want to see what you will pay on your cars - an exerpt from the link I gave you on eplaque.fr

Thank you Adam, Have been to Service des Impots, cannot help… Been to St Malo Douanes office, cannot help, Contacted eplaque, cannot help, been to three local insurance brokers, cannot help……. Its not for want of trying……

Wow! Then I am really sorry.

Something is radically wrong if these offices cannot/will not assist. Especially eplaque.fr - it is their bread and butter for heavens sake. And THREE insurance brokers?? For heavens sake, this is crazy! I have never given much shrift to insurance people, but three to send you packing is not on in - fact it is a disgrace. And for the Duanes to send you away is also crazy - it is they who are at the start of the procedure.

I’d offer to walk you around these people, but I guess we are miles apart! I do not know what to suggest now :face_with_thermometer:

Are you anywhere near Callac? Lydie Horlock is very helpful and experienced in dealing with people coming from UK. She does not work Mondays. You can 'phone her on 02 96 45 51 15 (Cabinet de Reviers).

Have you actually been in touch with @Fabien ?

Yes, and he said he would only deal with insurance (understandably)… Insurance is the least of our worries… we have managed to increase our ‘green card’ days in france for another 3 months, so insurance valid…

Just want to start the registration process…

Many thanks for your response.

Did they say why?
Am I right in thinking you need the Quitus fiscal for your husband’s car ?
Can you add your car to the list of belongings coming in February, it doesn’t have to be physically with the rest of your stuff I don’t imagine as it is a vehicle.

Apparently Quittas Fiscale is purely online now, but as soon as you go online they say, get a 846a…

The Douanes said, they cannot give us an 846a without a Cerfa 8?? - which is what the removal guys have to fill in… Yes, we could put cars on our list to come over but we need an 846a now (ish) to register the cars… Cannot wait till Feb/Mar/Apr - whenever house purchase is complete. Already we have gone past one month…

Sorry to everybody out there - you must be getting heartily sick of this conversation - I’m thinking of dumping the car and buying a bike!!!

Thanks to all…

I got on quite well emailing the Douanes in Bordeaux, then arranged a meeting. (this was earlier this year so fairly recently)

I got the email address from the Douanes website.

I only needed these documents to get the 846A:

1. Sales invoice for the car
  2. DVLA V5
  3. Passport
  4. Justificatif de domicile (recent Utility Bill)

I wanted to ensure that someone would understand it is not as simple as you suggested - once you have the confirmation form from the Douanes then you can take the route you suggested but until you have that form you cannot.

Would I be right in thinking that you need the form Cerfa 8 in order to get the 846 without having to pay duty and TVA? Try not to worry too much about the timing, get all the paperwork together that you can to show that you are setting the wheels in motion and ask the removal form how soon you can get the Cerfa 8. When we did our car the french insurers accepted the UK reg for at least three months. Good luck.